Best fan for Athlon 2400?

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
I currently have a Gigabyte 7VRXP motherboard with an Athlon 1800 and 1gig of ram

I'm going to do one more cpu upgrade on this sucker before I get a completely new cpu/mobo... I'm pretty sure the mobo has a 266 FSB limit therefore the best cpu I can upgrade it to is an athlon 2400.

Now, given this, does anybody have any recommendations as to the best (meaning powerful and quiet) fan I can mate this with? or would sticking with the retail be best?

I was eyeing the VANTEC AeroFlow VA4-C7040, but I dunno...its kindof expensive...whatcha think?

athlon 2400 $78 oem/ 84 retail
vantec $27.99

Any other recommendations for an alternative upgrade?

IMO, it depends on the application really. If you are going to overclock... buy something else. If not, stick with the stock. Some of my recommendations are:

Thermaltake Volcano Series
CoolerMaster XDream
Vantec Aeroflow

The Vantec Aeroflow is supposed to be a great performer while being moderately quiet (as I have heard). Hope this helps.

RaG

i'm not going to overclock but being quiet is very important. (the reason I'm getting a fan vs retail)

i ahve that cpu and you are gonna want to get the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ Its the really pimp ass bule one. It has a sensor and it slows down the fan when you dont need to use it. So it makes it quieter when downloading off of kazaa overnight. It is really cheap it is 13.99 off of www.newegg.com. YOu can trust this site really good and fast. There is fed-ex shipping 3 to 4 day for 6 bucks. Trust me get this one it owns and is cheap. They have a review on newegg you will be happy when u read it.

Vantec Aero flow for me specs below .... I will never use anything else this is my 3rd rig with Aeroflow :)

why not spend 10 dallors more and get the barton 2500+?

ohhh and the 2500+ comes unlocked so u can let it use 266fsb and just up the multiplyer. or not its up to you :)

no you can the 2500+ isn't laser locked you don't need to unlock the chip you don't have to do the pin trick or the wire trick you don't have to do any of that, in fact the 2500 that I bought, when I put it in it defaulted to the settings of my 1800+ I had to go up everything in the bios.

It dont mean it works like that on all boards , and it dont mean you cant put it in and run default, what it means is some boards will not let you change the multipliers and some will, and only way to know is too check with your exact board and either the .pdf or people that have done it with your board. Now here is a perfect example my Athlon 2700+ on this board I can fire up at 10x , 11x, 11.5x, 12x, 13x, and so on. The exact same cpu on the MSI K7N2G-L which I have right here with me both are brand new not over a month old, will not allow any clocks expect the default. So you tell me oh yes he can do it because I did? Please find out what board he has and then go and find the proof needed to allow him to see that is was done on that board. I used the damn wire trick on the MSI both are nforce2 mobo's that run dual channel ddr@400mhz .... BUT my Gigaybyte works with no mods!!

Thanks but it aint right to say it works cause I did it on mine , we aint using your mobo :)

nforce2 boards let you change the multipliers at will, assuming the cpu isn't totally locked (like palominos, etc). some via chipsets don't let you unless the L1 bridges are physically connected. it depends on the combination of board and cpu.

by the way, the 2600+ is the fastest 266fsb proc. there is a 333fsb 2600+, too. so make sure you get the right one.

Taurus I am not saying this to argue but The MSI NFORCE2 K7N2G-L DOES NOT unlock my Athlon 2700+ And my Gigaybyte GA7NNXP does I have both boards and overclocked both the only way to get the MSI board to boot into any mulitplier lower than 13x was the wire trick and here is the proof

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/thread.php?threadid=24158&boardid=14

hi
i did the wire trick and increased fsb from 133 to 166 and lowered the multiplier from 15 to 12.
i just wanted to raise fsb and not core speed.
worked right off no trouble at all except i got a little scare the first time i started my computer and it showed a cpu speed of less than 1ghz but that was because the multiplier was set to H/W and as there was no H/W multiplier anymore it dropped to the lowest possible.
bye

K7N2G-L
built in GF4 MX 32MB
XP2400+ oc'ed 166x12=1992mhz
2x256mb ddr333
30.7 gb ibm deskstar connected to a promise ultra100 tx2 ide controller
toshiba 32x cdrom and a memorex
1248AJ cdrw
300w psu
Nec multisync 4d 16"
RealTek 8029 Ethernet
Windows XP + SP1

Hi,
Did the wire trick and my machine is running rock steady, see my signature below

K7N2G-L Bios 3.5
Athlon XP 2500+Barton @2220MHz (185X12)
Vantec Aeroflow + 6 Stealth Case Fans
2x 512MB 2700 Mushkin LVL2 Black slot 1 & 3
ATI Radeon 9700 128MB
SB Audigy Platinum - Logitech Z640's
Maxtor ATA133 40GB, Maxtor ATA133 60GB
Antec TrueBlue 480W
XP Pro SR1

Need more ??

Plus his board in not Nforce and from what I have found he needs to use dip switches on the board not the bios , and he will need to know what revision his board is .... and yes there is a 2600@133 and one @166 but the one @133 is hard to find

:)

Originally posted by Kermit
It dont mean it works like that on all boards , and it dont mean you cant put it in and run default, what it means is some boards will not let you change the multipliers and some will, and only way to know is too check with your exact board and either the .pdf or people that have done it with your board. Now here is a perfect example my Athlon 2700+ on this board I can fire up at 10x , 11x, 11.5x, 12x, 13x, and so on. The exact same cpu on the MSI K7N2G-L which I have right here with me both are brand new not over a month old, will not allow any clocks expect the default. So you tell me oh yes he can do it because I did? Please find out what board he has and then go and find the proof needed to allow him to see that is was done on that board. I used the damn wire trick on the MSI both are nforce2 mobo's that run dual channel ddr@400mhz .... BUT my Gigaybyte works with no mods!!

Thanks but it aint right to say it works cause I did it on mine , we aint using your mobo :)

ok had you said that the motherboard does not have options for mulitpliers instead of just saying it can't be done with out a wire trick I would have understood your deralict post BUT since you were not CLEAR and I read it "wrong" doesn't mean anything other then I miss undertood what you were saying. and as far as I know I thought all motherboards cept the oldest of old support multipliers in one for or another wither dip switch or jumper or in bios settings. so excuuuuuuuuse the hell out of me.

ohh and your wire trick is the same as the pin trick, and you know what? all it does is bypass the cpu's multiplier LOCK its not the mobo that keeps you from changing it its the proc. unlock the cpu and pull the wire off I betyou 100 bucks you can still change the mulitpliers. only difference between your two boards is one bypasses the lock by itself and the other does not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back