Best Email Spam Apps

S

S1RE

What is the best email spam filtering software out there, I'd like to know the best free (shareware) and the best of the ones which you have to purchase online or in stores.

I know of 2 so far InboxShield which is good but it comes with 15 day trial so most likely I'll erase it and find an alternative, and Spam Inspector which also has a trial period. Both of these look the same but InboxShield claims to stop 98% and Spam Inspector claims to stop 99%.

If you app junkies out there could give me your professional opinion and share your favorite spam blocking app I'd be most appreciative.

To me a block list is the best way to go. Every piece of spam i have ever gotten has been added to my blocked list which is very very long now. I dont really get spam anymore. Maybe one peice every month or two.

Try to find an app that uses the Bayesian filtering system. They're far more effective than blocklist-based junk mail filters, since they intelligently learn and adapt to what junk mail looks like based on the message content, rather than the sender's email address.

Outlook 2003 (a beta at this stage) and Mozilla Thunderbird (http://mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/) already have this capability built into them. I've been using Outlook 2003 for my Hotmail account, and I've not got a single piece of junk mail in my inbox. All junk mail is automatically moved to the "Junk Mail" folder. The great thing is there have been only 2 false-positives since I started using it two months ago.

I use Spampal, it's free, updated on a regular basis, and it blocks all spam. I set up a message rule in Outlook Express so that bad e-mails are moved to the "deleted" folder. It only failed once, but as I always check for errors, I noticed the wrongly tagged message and added the sender's address in Spampal's whitelist. Only a few times (maybe 5 in 3 months) it didn't tag bad mails, I simply copied the adresses to the personal blacklist and never received messages from them twice :)
All needed info can be found on the site, detailed for almost every mail clients -> simple to use, ans most powerful !
Uses Bayesian system also as NetRyder mentioned.

www.spampal.org

the problem with that idea, is that you're still downloading the intire email

if you use the program enyo mentioned, the email is only previewed, and not downloaded

you'll still have your block list, and it'll be erased before you ever wasted your bandwidth on the download

better

I use Spam Inspector for Outlook. It generally works well for me. I am looking forward to Outlook 2003 so I can use it's built in features (which I heard are supposed to be quite good).

Originally posted by dealer
the problem with that idea, is that you're still downloading the intire email

if you use the program enyo mentioned, the email is only previewed, and not downloaded

you'll still have your block list, and it'll be erased before you ever wasted your bandwidth on the download

better

You can set Outlook to download only message headers rather than the whole message, which is exactly what MailWasher does as well :)
But you get an intelligent spam filter in addition to that, instead of having to delete/block junk mail yourself.

I wish Thunderbird supported HTTP Hotmail accounts like Outlook/OE. I'd switch to it in an instant. I really don't want to bother using a HTTP->POP3 app.

Originally posted by NetRyder
You can set Outlook to download only message headers rather than the whole message, which is exactly what MailWasher does as well :)
But you get an intelligent spam filter in addition to that, instead of having to delete/block junk mail yourself.

You can, in Outlook Express, set the message rule so that it:

1- does not download the malevolent messages;

2- deletes from the server the messages recognized as spam by Spampal (its service works inbetween the server and you)

The problem with this is that no antispam software is 100% sure, in my opinion you still have to check the messages to be sure no message diverted from your Inbox has been mistakenly tagged as spam.
It occured twice, I had to move a message from the Deleted Folder to my Inbox; one of the two being a message from XSivforce's site's forum, Spammers Paradise. I can tell I was glad I had the opportunity to check the folder before I emptied it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back