Best CPU Heatsink / Fan? + Where to Buy a Thermaltake Volcano 11?!

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I want to buy a Thermaltake Volcano 11, since my AMD-supplied fan decided to die on me. :mad: Luckily, I just got to the stage where it sounds like a lawnmower, rather than it dying completely.

Anyhow, I want to buy the Thermaltake Volcano 11 fan, but, for the life of me, I can't find a f***ing store that has it in-stock! :mad: Does anyone know where I can buy it online?

If I can't get it, does anyone know a good heatsink / fan, preferably one that makes it very cool and operates quietly? Or is such a wish a foolish fantasy?

FYI, I'm running a AMD Athlon 2400+, but, since I intend to upgrade to at least a 3000+ in the future, I would like one that goes as high as possible (i.e., the Volcano 11 has support for the non-existent 3400+ :p)

Please help!

Melon

Ooh...what is your opinion of this?

http://www.ocsystem.com/mctherheatas.html

ocsystem_1727_3206222

MCX462+T Thermoelectric CPU Cooler for AMD Athlon XP ST-462+T

It's $91.00 (plus about $11.00 for a fan and another $8.00 for thermal compound), but, considering I was about to pay someone $72.00 to install that terrible clamp-based style cooler (I'm afraid I'll put my screwdriver through my mobo if I do it :p) and pay another $45.00 (+shipping) for the Volcano 11, I might as well get a really nice cooler and be able to install it myself.

Your thoughts? I would really be interested in second opinions!

Melon

Originally posted by melon
Ooh...what is your opinion of this?

http://www.ocsystem.com/mctherheatas.html

ocsystem_1727_3206222

MCX462+T Thermoelectric CPU Cooler for AMD Athlon XP ST-462+T

It's $91.00 (plus about $11.00 for a fan and another $8.00 for thermal compound), but, considering I was about to pay someone $72.00 to install that terrible clamp-based style cooler (I'm afraid I'll put my screwdriver through my mobo if I do it :p) and pay another $45.00 (+shipping) for the Volcano 11, I might as well get a really nice cooler and be able to install it myself.

Your thoughts? I would really be interested in second opinions!

Melon
Yes get the swiftech heatsink and a nice quiet fine a Papst, or YSTech one

Actually, I looked at the installation instructions and voltage requirements on it. I think I might be over my head with the MCX462+T. Oh and it is close to 80 dB...no thanks! :p

Any other suggestions? I might just go for a Volcano 9 and get it over with.

Melon

VOLCANO 11! WTF AM I DOING WITH A VOLCANO 9? I THOUGHT I HAD THE BIGGEST CPU HEATSINK EVER!?!?! stupid stupid stupid.. now I need to get another one... why me? huh.. why did I overlook this? someone answer me this?

Originally posted by Ace123
VOLCANO 11! WTF AM I DOING WITH A VOLCANO 9? I THOUGHT I HAD THE BIGGEST CPU HEATSINK EVER!?!?! stupid stupid stupid.. now I need to get another one... why me? huh.. why did I overlook this? someone answer me this?

Well in that case you can chuck that #9 my way I will pay the shipping costs and a few bucks !!!

seriously ;)

IVE GOT THE ANSWER! Ill take the grill off this one. And install my cool mod thingy on the volcano 11! What do you guys think?

Go with the Swiftech. You can get it cheaper however... You can put any type of fan on it (i.e., quieter, louder, cheaper, more expensive, home-made, stolen, begged, borrowed, loaned, etc.):)

My MCX-478 keeps my overclocked P4 nice and cool...:D

Alright...I have settled on the Swiftech MCX-462+ for the heatsink. Here comes the next issue, though: what fan should I get? I'm looking for an 80 mm fan that has the right balance of power and noise. So far, I've looked at:

--Vantech Tornado 80 mm (84.1 CFM, 55.2 dBA)
--Thermaltake Smart Fan II (max. 75.7 CFM, max. 48 dBA)

Are these too loud? What type of fan would you suggest?

Melon

Id get the tt smart fan. It has a heat sensor and only runs at 17dba at lower speeds. Its whats on the volcano9 and 11. Baisically its going to be your best bet due to its smart fan tech. You can also order it with the cool mod!. Wich is VERY cool lol.

Well I can tell you that the TT 2 fan is loud when it is on high! It does come with a thermal sensor but I have no idea where I would place the sensor. It also comes with a speed control that you can turn to set the speed.

I'd go with a Delta fan. They are loud (which helps with my autism) but they cool the best and last the longest.:)

Thanks for all your help, and, because I didn't have lots and lots of time to plan for this, I made my purchase.

I bought a Swiftech MCX-462+ with Thermaltake Smart Fan II "Cool Mod" LED fan. Arctic 3 silver compound.

Oh and I also bought a few rounded IDE cables, since they were on sale. They are UV light sensitive, so they change colors when exposed to UV light. ;) Anyhow, that's just an added benefit; I was tired of those bulky IDE cables getting in the way!

I also bought a Thermaltake copper shim to protect the processor from cracking (I've never put on a heatsink before, so the last thing I need to do is make a fatal mistake). But here's a question: how necessary are these things? Do they enhance performance? Most importantly, do they harm performance or potentially hurt the processor? It was dirt cheap, so it isn't a loss if I can't use it.

Melon

shims r jus so u dont break ur cpu rn't they?
i dont think it would screw up the heat transfer or anything..might make it better...not too sure tho..lol bu i dont thing it'd mess anything up

You're supposed to slide the sensor between the pins on the CPU between the socket and the cpu. That concept scares the hell out of me. Wire frays and shorts power pins on the cpu, poof. CPU sits uneven on socket, poof. Sensor not in right position under cpu, poof. (The last 2 poofs only apply to AMD, the P4 will throttle itself down to avoid frying).

Buddy of mine has one. He took off the sensor and just uses the speed control to manually set it for the noise / cooling trade off he wants. He's really happy with the 9.

BTW I checked about 10 hits for the Volcano 11 on pricewatch. They were all out of stock!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back