Best Compression Utility

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey !

Being using winrar for years...

anything, better or maybe faster ?

if yes, please tell me and explain :D

tnx.

Most will say WinRAR is still the best. Personally, I like WinZip.

No, it doesn't. I would rather use WinZip/ZIP format over WinRAR/RAR format.

i like winrar, but there has been some instances where ive seen a zip thats smaller than if i tried to rar it (because i have and the rar is bigger, on best and solid archive) the zip was made using 7zip or whatever is called, i dont know how though

7zip uses a better algorith than rar and winzip :)

I still like winrar for its convinience, though there are better compression methods out and about.

Actually, you will see visca versa for compressions. WinRar is still the best utility for zipping and raring files up. But when it comes to either Raring or Zipping files in terms of compression, it all depends on what you are compressing. Larger files such as CDs or DVDs worth of data, are usually best to be .rar because if you are transfering the files over the internet, they will transfer faster because you can split up a DVD into as many files as you choose. Whereas with .zip, you're limited to 1 large file. In some cases, you will see them at a comparable compression size if not leaning in one way or another. But that wasn't what you asked. What program is the best?

WINRAR. :)

yep, winrar and winzip. Although I use winzip more ...

I have been using WinRAR farther back then I can remember. Although the compression is a bit off, Windows XP has a utility built in as well. The advantage there obviously is there is no cost involved, whereas WinZIP and WinRAR both are shareware.

When I first started using computers, it was of course WinZIP, but for the last 5 or more years I have been using WinRAR, has the ability to do everything and is one of the best out there.

it's not free, evalution only, but a very good program, maybe better then WinRAR

Would that old installer still work, if they are charging for it now, wouldn't it?

i kinda like 7zip. compresses stuff pretty well. not sure exactly how well it compares to Rar's... think it's usually on-par or slightly better..... not sure.

http://www.7-zip.org/

think even Guru3D used 7zip files for a short time..... or at least one site i remember used to..... don't remember. maybe Guru3D still does.......

Just for the halibut explain please what there is to "hate" about a small application like Winrar?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back