Best Browser for XP

C

Chrysalis

I have tried 4 browsers so far, I used to love IE5.5 in Win2k but can no longer use in XP.

IE6

Very Slow useing back and forward buttons
Uses up a lot of memory

Opera 6

Forums software like vB and wbb shows up wrong
Mouse Scroll on intellimouse seems to be locked to scroll 1 page at time(which i dont like)
Doesnt support socks proxies
Crashes now and again
Limited cookie options
Needs external Java installed

Mozilla/Netscape

Some webpages show wrong
Java support flaky

Overall opera has been very fast and his nice features eg. download manager and showing speed of page thats loading, I also like the built in popup protection, but the occasional crash and it loading pages not how they supposed to be seen is a big let down.

IE6 Has good cookie options and is compatible with all sites that I use, its problem is that it is very very slow, compared to Opera and even IE5.5 which has put me right of using it.

I would like to know if anyone else has any other browsers to reccomend to me?

Maybe Try Netscape, one of Microsofts biggest Competitors.....

Fhuising

MSIE is the best because the world runs on Microsoft products. Websites display better in IE because of this. As for using up a lot of memory, which newer programs don't? As for a slow back/forward button, I don't get it? Mine works fine.

Originally posted by Fhuising
Maybe Try Netscape, one of Microsofts biggest Competitors.....

Fhuising

Oh, and I must comment. AOL Time Warner is no threat any longer to the browser square off.

I also stopped using IE6 because of the slow forward and backward moving :( Glad to know I am not the only one having this problem.
Fortunately Opera doesn't crash very often on my PC. It works like charm and I even don't mind that some pages don't show as they are supposed to look like. Why not using IE6 on these couple of pages...

Cheers, oerficus

PS: Somebody could start a poll on which browsers are used within members of this group here.

I use both IE 6 and Opera I prefer IE 6 but for one flaw as according to M$ habits it is a feature not a flaw and that is the Active X but which can let some website run an active x controller that can format your hard drive. Opera is noce but I am never gonna pay $40 bucks for a browser. And Netscape is no longer any competition... Thanks AOL :D
IMO

[P§eüðøKe®]

I like IE 6.0 but some guys from here recommended me Opera :)

I actually prefer opera but its few flaws let me down, I am trying to get hold of the bet aversion if anyone can provide a link thanks.

As for IE6 been slow if I click the back button it will normally take around 1-2 secs to load a page that should be cached on my hd, IE5.5 was a lot quicker than this and opera6 is instant.

Opera is very fast, but yes some things don't load the way they should. I prefer Mozilla myself, open source and free and doesn't hog Memory like IE. And is not AOL Time Warner dictated. It might give IE a run for the money once they get more backing. Juries' still out though.

Originally posted by [P§eüðøKe®]
And Netscape is no longer any competition... Thanks AOL :D

yeah, that's what I'm saying =)

yeah well i installed "crazy browser" for the hell of it and now i love it
all open pages in one window is great and it only uses 27k ram it also seems to be quicker (and i kould know 56k dial up <hangs head in shame>)

i doubt i will go back to IE for a while................:D

Originally posted by New Disease
it only uses 27k ram it also seems to be quicker

IEXPLORE.EXE by user matt is using 19,896K of memory.

i believe you can solve the slow back and forward in IE6 by setting IE to check for newer pages only after you restart browser. if you need to check for newer version then just refresh.

but still... i can't live without opera's mouse gesture.... good enough for general purpose browsing and using forum board.. (what do you mean you have to pay $40... there's ad-sponsored version for free)

new disease..... crazy browser is just an interface for IE..... it's not a browser by itself.....

try looking for a browser called MY IE, it's a stripped down version of IE that is small and works great :)

Opera 6.02 is the bomb. Gotta love the mouse gestures!

Also it is about 200% faster in loading webpages in IE.

Originally posted by Oerficus
I also stopped using IE6 because of the slow forward and backward moving :( Glad to know I am not the only one having this problem.

for some reason, ie will reload pretty often when you use the back and forward buttons...a good option, and try ie again for this, is instead of the buttons, use the keyboard back and forward, the browser uses the cache almost exclusively when you do it with the keyboard

back=the keyboard back button, or alt+left arrow

forward = alt+right arrow

btw....maybe someone can work out a fix, and force ie to use the cache when using the back and forward browser buttons

I'm Perfectly happy with IE 6.0 and will continue to use it

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back