Best Antivirus Program for XP?

Norton Anti-Virus. Why? The name/quality/service/performance and reputation speak for themselves.

Norton has too big a footprint... its taking far too much resources for what its doing. (its checking files for viruses that my mouse clicks... AVG does it better and has a much smaller footprint.)

Anyone got any other suggestions cause i'm in the market for a better Anti-Virus program myself.

I head kaspersky has a small foot print and is rather good.

I agree that Norton is good. If u can get a corp version of it a lot less thrills and more to the point of protecting against virus

I agree, Norton rocks...just wait..don't buy Norton 2002...wait till 2003 hits the market. It has all the features you'll need such as anti worms, anti trojans and scanning instant messages.

I disagree that Norton takes up large amounts of system resourses - Version 2002 is fantastic at a price you can't beat. If you don't want to use resourses - try McAfee it takes less system resourse due to the fact that there aren't many viruses it does detect - and doesn't bother scanning e-mail in/out either.

i use pc-cillian. i had gotten a virus in june...and pc-cillian didn't detect it untill august. and i would update and scan regularly

I like NAV corporate as well.. it's slimmed down and just does it's job well.. I find I can leave in full protection mode and my machine still runs fast.. with the retail version I'd usually disable it's protection since it would slow things down by scanning every bloody thing... McAfee is very similar.. people ask "how come my machine's running so slow?" since they installed McAfee.. it's scanning on bootup and every file you run, copy, move etc.. ick.. get NAV Corp if you can..

Anti-Virus

Hello

Now I use norton 2002, but my main program is NOD32. Esset(NOD32 Dev's) have gotten huge amounts of acclaim and are very well know for their good heuristics. Also kaspersky is very good as well, norton is good but not to the caliber as the ones I have just listed. Oh and the free anti-virus programs I would only use them as a second or even third opinion. And I won't even talk about Mcafee:mad:

Quale

no ofense but where the heck do you guys get that NAV 2002 is the bst one? it HOGS resources like hell and sometimes it just detects virus on any file even when they don't have any.

I think Kapersky is a WAY better program less resources, and more invisible to the user, its got the same or probably more features that do work , I switched from NAV to AVP (kapersky) and i don't regret it and i will not go back to NAV no matter how nice the interface looks like.

nIabI

avg is the smallest, and it finds viruses the others miss...I've seen this happen to two computors...oh, by the way...it's free

I'd have to say that I'd go with Norton as well, although my one small qualm about it is that the 2002 version feels "stripped down" compared to previous versions. They've left out some of the options that more advanced users find particularly helpful.

Might want to wait for NAV 2003, as the beta is already out and it won't be that long of a wait now.

I use McAffee 6 works good and doesnt Miss any ...And the guy that said it dont scan Emails is Missinformed its just off by default but it does do it when you tell it to also checks files incoming and so on as you get them i like it...

Originally posted by Stircrazy
I use McAffee 6 works good and doesnt Miss any ...And the guy that said it dont scan Emails is Missinformed its just off by default but it does do it when you tell it to also checks files incoming and so on as you get them i like it...

the problem with McAffee is that if you have ZIP file, and inside this ZIP file another ZIP file ( ZIP inside ZIP) and a virus is hidden inside the second zipped file ...McAffee won't detect that.

NAV is not that great. After installing it on my computer it would continually keep my computer from running correctly (SLOW!). It would just take to much time and use too many resources. Not very good.

mmmmmmmmmm some say norton gets what others miss. Others say AVG gets what others miss. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can't go past the freeware one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back