best album of all time

where is Exodus by bob marley...Time magazine's album of the century...scoffs at inclusion of Legend

yes... the beatles were excellent..

however i think its a travesty that michael jackson's thriller is ranked so low...

tbh its a masterpiece AND had hits across the board... its probably a case of MJ backlash frm all the bruhaha @ the moment...

beatles would still be my no.1 but jackson's thriller is my no.2

eagles probably deserve a higher spot as well..

Tuffgong4 said:
where is Exodus by bob marley...Time magazine's album of the century...scoffs at inclusion of Legend

how can I forget :D

that was a fabulous album :)

marley was the king...

personally i dont think they should include greatest hits albums on that list... an entire album is designed for the purpose of being an album. A greatest hits to me is just a compilation... i think theres an big difference.

i don't see how NWA / Run dmc are not on it.. sure rap isn't the greatest but it influenced so much of now :p

120. Raising Hell, Run-DMC
144. Straight Outta Compton, N.W.A

Aerosmith should be a lot higher than 176

theevilsithlord said:
personally i dont think they should include greatest hits albums on that list... an entire album is designed for the purpose of being an album. A greatest hits to me is just a compilation... i think theres an big difference.

In the newer issue with Howard Dean on the cover, there is a letter in the mail section making this very point. RS actually responded and stated why they decided to include certain "Greatest Hits" records. I don't own the issue myself, or I'd type out the response they gave. After reading it though, I did think that RS had a legitimate reason for the inclusion of those records. I'll look on the RS website and see if I can find the response.

yup in that time the beatles where really that amazing dont forget its long time ago and it was really all new what they did, and yes where is bob marley ? three little birds before my doorstep singing sweet songs a melody so pure and clean, this is a message for youhoohoo, singing dont worry about a thing, goes every little thing gonna be allright :D weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i & i never die, haille selassie, reggae muffins, pass the dutchie, buffalo soldier dreadlocks rasta :p

Here's an interesting statistic:

Acts With the Most Entries
  • The Beatles - 11
  • Bob Dylan - 10
  • The Rolling Stones - 10
  • Bruce Springsteen - 8
  • The Who - 7
  • David Bowie - 6
  • Elton John - 5
  • U2 - 5
  • Neil Young - 5
  • Led Zeppelin - 5
  • Bob Marley and the Wailers - 5
  • Otis Redding - 5
  • The Byrds - 5

Nice to see Massive Attack on there and the Police are on it but not high enough as I study it more...

Yes the Beatles were that good. Except it should be Abbey Road at #1, that is by far the greatest single album ever made. If you have arguments against that, they are flawed :D

Sazar said:
Eagles probably deserve a higher spot as well...

I do agree, they're my all time favorite band and deserved a much higher position, in the 10 1st, I think, but that's my opinion ;)

theevilsithlord said:
were the Beatles really that amazing?

yes

even more then anyone could describe, but I'll give it a go.

listening to the Beatles music today is like listening to soft rock...back then, it was revolutionary, and cutting edge

technologically, they were even more meticulous then classical recording...put abbey road or let it be on with headphones, and you would not believe the expertise in production

go further then that, try to find an original vinyl album, and do the same before anything was remastered for digital reproduction...compare the Beatles to anything else on plastic...as if the Beatles producers knew things no one else discovered until a generation later

even today, put "blue jay way" or "I am the walrus" on wearing headphones...I believe if these were released today, hey would turn heads for ingenuity

whenever An album came out, the direction of music as a whole clanged direction according to the Beatles vision

and socially, the Beatles made the young pay attending to what was happening around the world...the public as a whole was so uninformed, never questioning or challenging, any of the status quo.

I can't say the Beatles had sole responsibility for making America aware, but they had not a small hand in it

they were a culture

if not for the Beatles, "the whole" flower power" movement, could possible never have happened...they challenged us to think and wonder.

yes

more amazing then can be told

I also agree, abbey road BTW

hey, give that "blue jaw way" and "I am the walrus" a listen with headphones

I'm glad to see Nirvana made it into the top 20 (#17) but very sad to see Pearl Jam only got #207. They deserve much higher on that list IMHO.

btw... the Beatles were from liverpool so naturally they were exceptional (/me quietly dons his Reds shirt and sings "you'll never walk alone" in typical scouse accent)

:cool:

j79zlr said:
Except it should be Abbey Road at #1, that is by far the greatest single album ever made.

I feel the same way... the way it flows from beginning to end is quite amazing... but why do most lists put sgt. peppers in the top spot?

^^ cos it was extremely ground breaking at the time (even though I think Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates Of Dawn was more so and released earlier).

Whats the deal with The Eagles Hotel California being so far down the list :/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back