best 4 compression

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
whats the best program to use for compressing things such as an *.avi or a movie. are winzip/win rar the best to use? also say if the the file is 700mb how much do u think it can compress it down to.

700mb .avi? probably around 698mb... .avi is already a compressed format, you can't really compress it much further no matter what program/method you use.

i have tried using winrar on a 720mb divx movie and all it did was take forever to finish and it got it down to 711mb. doesnt achieve much as SPeedY_B said, and it just wastes time trying imo

Get Cleaner 5/6 (whatever version it is now), and convert the file into a different video format. That'll shrink it down.

Melon

Best way to compress a movie is DivX, but that is probably what you already have :huh:

Originally posted by Luna64
But that would cause a major loss in quality melon.

Not really, if you know the right compression scheme to use.

Melon

winzip on the highest compression will take it down a good 20 or 30 mb's I know ive done it 3 times so I could fit movies onto cd-r that were to small.

Originally posted by melon
Not really, if you know the right compression scheme to use.

Melon

Using what codec ?

.mpg and .mov don't even compare when it comes to compression/quality.

Unless your refering to something else...

Originally posted by Luna64
Using what codec ?

.mpg and .mov don't even compare when it comes to compression/quality.

Unless your refering to something else...

You can use the same codec--DivX AVI. My experience with Cleaner 5 is that it is just a far more efficient encoding program. I've made Sorenson MOVs with Adobe After Effects 5.5 and end up with a bloated file. I then use Cleaner 5 and then I can reduce it to a much smaller size; I really don't know what has changed really. Same codec and everything.

If you can get a hold of it, try it. Even if it reduces the AVI by 20 MB even, that's really all you need in this instance, right?

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back