besides interface, what's new in 7?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
so, doing some reading, supposedly not as many services start with windows and that speeds up boot

other user interface thingys that make the os that much more useable, quicker instal of programs, better task bar, etc

but what is differant about the os?

did they rewrite any of the operating system?...differant memory managager?...differant cpu scheldule policies?...interface withstanding, what is differant internally?

Maybe the video will address some of this.

Inside Windows 7

You don't have to install Silverlight to watch the video.
Click down by where it says Format and choose.

from my use of 7 it seems to make better use of multicore/multithread cpus. so it should scream along on your shiny new core i7

Maybe the video will address some of this.

Inside Windows 7

You don't have to install Silverlight to watch the video.
Click down by where it says Format and choose.
zombie, that's an excellant interview, mark tells us of some changes so profound I wouldn't have minded if they called this something other then nt

funny, I asked if there were changes in the memory manager and scheduler and those are exactly where changes were made

good stuff, I'm surprised they were able to do this much in such a short perioed since vista was released and it leads me to believe vista and windows seven were being developed at the same time

thanx again for that link

Last edited:
from my use of 7 it seems to make better use of multicore/multithread cpus. so it should scream along on your shiny new core i7
seems like scalability is one of the important improvements, now with the ability to handle 256 cores over what I believe was a 64 processor threshold

from that conversation I see a particular lock for one thread could force all procesors to wait for that one lock, this is addressed in 7 however they resolve the issue by assigning groups of processors for that lock rather then the global lock in previous nt's...this doesn't look like it would be noticeable on a 2 core but I wouldn't know for sure, I wouldn't think the changes would be noticed on 2 processors but probably 4 even though mark says you shouldn't notive on less then 8 or 16 cores, but I think if you have some complicated threads tossing between processors then you might indeed notice the differance

so, according to the conversation, this seemed like such a good idea they did the same thing wit the memory manager and I think memory is going to be where the performance improvement on smaller systems is going to be noticed

the conversation tells us another improvement, there's now "user mode scheduling" and this is the most likely candidate for what's noticed as performance advances on a smaller system (less then 16 processors is what they consider a smaller system)

with this "user mode scheduling" actual code in programs can do their own scheduling so the os isn't involved in program decisions, this is probably a huge improvement and the os wouldn't lock up the program and visa versa

Last edited:
They typically do develop platforms simultaneously - such as IE 7/8, IE 8/9, Windows Vista/7, etc.

-edit-

Not side by side out the gate, but towards the tail end.

so, doing some reading, supposedly not as many services start with windows and that speeds up boot

other user interface thingys that make the os that much more useable, quicker instal of programs, better task bar, etc

but what is differant about the os?

did they rewrite any of the operating system?...differant memory managager?...differant cpu scheldule policies?...interface withstanding, what is differant internally?

Fwiw, I actually feel frustrated using Vista at work now that I have been using Win 7 at home for a while. It's not as bad as I felt when having to trouble-shoot XP on my brother and my parents old systems while using Vista, but it's getting there.

Windows 7 is just, so much more intuitive and so much more efficient as an OS. OSX dumbs things down for you and tries to do everything for you which is why I have just never developed a liking for it. Windows 7 allows you to be a noob or a power user :D It is absolutely brilliant.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back