Belkin ADSL Router help

tibboh

Arte et Marte
Just purchased a new belkin router & cards. When up and running all is fine (except one card which has a dodgy antena connection - which is going back).

My problem is, the router default is set to 'dial on demand', with an 'idle time' of 5 minutes. Consequently, if I leave the PC (switched on or not) for over 5 mins, the modem requires switching on via the web browser again (no good for the kids).

If i set it in minutes for about 4 hours, it will be fine for when every one is up when they come home during the day - but then reverts to 5 mins. And if I set it to zero - it will obviously not work.

As im new to broadband - any advise on settings that will have it permanently connected - or at least when i switch on my server etc?

on my Linksys router I use "Keep Connection Alive" and set a redial period of 180 seconds. However it still shouldnt do that no matter which one u choose.

yea I know 2 people with belkin and i have tried to work with them and they are horrid. See if you can return them and get a linksys or even a microsoft. The belkin tech support have to be the worst ever. I called and asked for help on a connection and they told me to call the isp when it was the router problem. They should stick with what they do best and make ipod external battery packs :p

Yup - no reply from Belkin help, as you would imagine.

What I have done is set the 'idle' period to 720 minutes, which will cover any innactive periods when the family is not on, preventing it from shutting down. I hope someone out there has a fix (apart from sending it back, which i'm tempted).

found the MTU was set too high on default, preventing me opening most web pages - I have set it to 1400, which seems okay speed wise and stability wise. Any further help on this would also be appreciated (as i'm only guessing).

I use 1492 for my MTU size. As for the router, maybe see if theres a newer firmware version. I'd return it and go for a more well known networking company. I love Linksys.

Well, what do ya know. Belkin HAD e-mailed me with an answer (mt ISP had placed it in the spam folder - lucky I checked befor I deleted)

Router is now running as sweet as a nut, and I've had no problems with the new MTU setting. It might be pouring with rain in Preston, but isn't life wonderfull? :)

mooo said:
yea I know 2 people with belkin and i have tried to work with them and they are horrid. See if you can return them and get a linksys or even a microsoft. The belkin tech support have to be the worst ever. I called and asked for help on a connection and they told me to call the isp when it was the router problem. They should stick with what they do best and make ipod external battery packs :p

Sorry to totally disagree ,and you are entitled to your opinion... but Netgear and Belkin are still the top two sellers , and after a couple of days getting usd to it, the Belkin wireless router / modem was and is consistently reliable.
Same goes for their tech support.

I have to say that after a month with my Belkin setup, both wireless router and wireless cards are running perfectly. After the initial hickup with settings I have had no cause to complain.

In the three instances I have contacted their technical support, each time I have had a reply within 24 hours (I slagged them off the first time I tried to contact them because my spam filter, for some reason had placed the reply in the spam folder).

It is too easy to diss a product second hand, cos your mate has had problems (he COULD be a pleb), I would say from first hand experience that both hardware & tech support are what I would expect.

But thankyou to all anyway who gave good advice to me :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back