Before i buy photoshop and the books.....

You can always use gimp, then move onto photochop.

Heeter

I have to be 100% truthful right now.

I do Graphic Design & Web Design for a job, eventually my career. I did not pay for the Adobe CS3 Suite. Since I am not in College yet and not finished school I do not have the money yet. If it is not your profession then it is way to expensive for you to buy.

I will be buying a mac and the suite but only part of the loan I get for my schooling. That is the only way. Otherwise I would continue the way I do it now. Only when a program becomes something you can't live without (ie your job, or what not) is it worth the money.

You do know Photoshop alone is $1000 or so. I hate to sound like a pirate and all that, but if its a hobbie, its not worth the money.

The only reason to choose photoshop over gimp is if you are in a business environemnt that requires your product be in photoshop proprietary file formats for delivery. And in that case the contract should pay for the software.

If it is for hobby use gimp. It is extremely powerful, free, constantly updated, etc.

As for layers and filter, that is what makes a high end graphics package.

i have to agree with the consensus here. If you are doing art or image work for simply a hobby. then Gimp is the way to go. But if money is not an issue. and you have plenty of it then heck why not?. but on a serious note, I would go with the Gimp.

here are other alternatives or companions alongside Gimp
Inkscape Vector graphics application.

and

Paint.NET

Graphics editor with a very nice interface.

thing is i am thinking of going back to college and doing a few courses, web design is one and they do a few courses on adobe, im thinking of changing direction as relates to a job so that's why im asking about photoshop as the college doesn't do a course on gimp :p

same thing, and course i was looking at dont even use that - all raw html and such, and i said i was looking at doing web design which would include graphics thats why i asked :)

*BUY* photoshop? You made of money?

I have to be 100% truthful right now.

I do Graphic Design & Web Design for a job, eventually my career. I did not pay for the Adobe CS3 Suite. Since I am not in College yet and not finished school I do not have the money yet. If it is not your profession then it is way to expensive for you to buy.

I will be buying a mac and the suite but only part of the loan I get for my schooling. That is the only way. Otherwise I would continue the way I do it now. Only when a program becomes something you can't live without (ie your job, or what not) is it worth the money.

You do know Photoshop alone is $1000 or so. I hate to sound like a pirate and all that, but if its a hobbie, its not worth the money.

There are no other methods of obtaining software other than buying it :)

there is - just not legal :) and $1000 is about 500£ and i believe you can get student licence which drops it down even further :)

If you are going to use the software and can afford it, buy it.

Photoshop CS3 retails for a little over 650$ (USD). With a student discount it can be found for 299$ (USD). This is for the Full Versions direct from the Adobe site. You can probably find it for less if you look around.

If you are a student, or can get it with a student discount I would say it is worth it.

Oh just to let some people know, if you take some classes that use photoshop, you can use your student ID And purchase Photoshop at a discounted rate. Usually $289 for the extended version. That's the cheapest LEGAL way to obtain photoshop.

Sign up for basket weaving at your local community college and buy it with a student discount imo

Don't waste your money, seriously. If it's really burning a whole in your pocket get yourself a new graphics card or something. Unless you really need to, paying that kind of money for a program like Photoshop just doesn't make sense.

The fee for my advice is £20. If you take it, you will still have saved a fortune :) hehe

i have 2 geforce 8600gt's - well 1 the other i removed as i dont game and i needed the space for tv card :D

same thing, and course i was looking at dont even use that - all raw html and such, and i said i was looking at doing web design which would include graphics thats why i asked :)

Thats teaching you HTML, not design. Two different things entirely. You can know HTML inside out and back to front and be a crap designer :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back