BCS screws it up again: Ohio St. vs. Florida in Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the one positive side of all this BCS garbage is that we have something to talk about every year about this time! :p

Yeah in 2003 USC was ranked number one in both the ap and coaches poll and number three in the BCS, as a result Oklahoma and LSU played each other a #2 vs a #3 for the national title. USC played #4 Michigan and beat them handily. The AP writers who had USC number 1 awarded them the National title. The coaches poll and the BCS handed the title to LSU, thus guaranteeing a split national title. The coaches signed a contract at the beginning of the BCS to award their title to whomever plays in the BCS bowl. Many of the coaches however voted USC a number #1 spot in addtion to giving the BCS trphy to LSU.

I think this was the reason they changed the BCS rankings to give more weight to the poll (human) votes.

I agree with the BCS this year. Florida played the toughest schedule in college football. Michigan had a shot against Ohio (they played well but not well enough), now it is Florida's shot.

Exactly.

:smoker:

OK Is there any question that the BCS is still screwed up? They got it right, the USC vs. Michigan game proved it.

OK Is there any question that the BCS is still screwed up? They got it right, the USC vs. Michigan game proved it.

I agree and disagree. USC played outstanding football and buried Michigan, so from that you can say that Michigan didn't deserve to be in the title game. Then again, USC could very well have beat Florida or Ohio State, as well as they played today -- or Michigan might have matched up better with Ohio State and been able to beat them.

USC beat Michigan badly, but OSU barely beat Michigan. Assuming OSU wins next Monday, I'd like to see a USC v. OSU game -- that's what playoffs would provide us with.

Teams play differently in bowl games than they do in the regular season. There's all that time off, plus the teams have more time to watch film and understand its opponent. As of the end of the regular season, I felt that Michigan deserved to be in the championship game. I'm still for a playoff system and believe it would result in much less controversy each season.

I think it is still messed up because of not just the michigan and usc game. Look at the other BCS games. One game isn't gonna make a difference in saying BCS is bullcrap.

Its all on how the team plays that day. Look at the Lions and how the beat the Cowboys the other day. Its just how a team plays.

Michigan still beat Notre Dame so thats all that matters haha

The BCS has not been in the favor of many, many college football fans throughout the country but this matchup is very intriguing regardless if fans disagree or not. 1st ever meeting between the Buckeyes and Gators. Both teams have exceptional athletes. Urban Meyer, an Ohio native, will go up against the school he grew up rooting for. Jim Tressel, undefeated in BCS bowl games and his 4th Fiesta bowl appearance this decade alone.

I'm picking Ohio St. in this game. Florida, in my theory, will probably contain OSU's running game with their speed at D-line; as well as to contain QB Troy Smith in not allowing big plays. The OSU WRs, to me, will be the "X" factor of this game. Sure contain WR Ted Ginn Jr. from running a track meet, but WR Anthony Gonzalez runs just as fast plus catches the football much better than Ginn. It opens up the little known receivers on OSU's side. Florida will score, by a balanced attack, if they watched the OSU/Michigan game and Michigan's balanced attack. If this game ends up being around the mid 20s-30s in points, it plays into OSU's hands. Every big game I've seen OSU play, if it stood in the 20s, Tressel grinds it out like no other coach I've seen and only saw lose once and that was vs Texas in '05. Oh, as I mentioned before, OSU is making its fourth trip to the Fiesta Bowl this decade. The environment will not be something new for them.

Who's your pick and reason for it?

P.S. Damn USC >< If only they had not lost to UCLA at the end of the season.

Michigan loses by 3 AT Ohio State. Florida wasn't even in the discussion two weeks ago -- it was going to be Michigan or USC vs. Ohio State. USC loses and then Florida sneaks in ahead of Michigan, probably because Florida has been playing recently and Michigan hasn't. Also, Florida's coach has been quite vocal about why they deserve to be in the title game. That's his right, and Michigan's coach decides to keep quite and let the BCS do its job without begging for votes.

High school football, pro football, college basketball, pro basketball, college baseball, pro baseball -- all these have a playoff system. College football is the only one without it, and it needs one else we have this discussion every year for eternity.

Muzi you still feel this way? After that A$$-WHOOPING OSU took?

:laugh:

Assuming OSU wins next Monday, I'd like to see a USC v. OSU game -- that's what playoffs would provide us with.

waits patiently for these people to have a response for the shclacking that OSU took...

... STILL waiting ...
:laugh:

The BCS has not been in the favor of many, many college football fans throughout the country but this matchup is very intriguing regardless if fans disagree or not. 1st ever meeting between the Buckeyes and Gators. Both teams have exceptional athletes. Urban Meyer, an Ohio native, will go up against the school he grew up rooting for. Jim Tressel, undefeated in BCS bowl games and his 4th Fiesta bowl appearance this decade alone.

I'm picking Ohio St. in this game. Florida, in my theory, will probably contain OSU's running game with their speed at D-line; as well as to contain QB Troy Smith in not allowing big plays. The OSU WRs, to me, will be the "X" factor of this game. Sure contain WR Ted Ginn Jr. from running a track meet, but WR Anthony Gonzalez runs just as fast plus catches the football much better than Ginn. It opens up the little known receivers on OSU's side. Florida will score, by a balanced attack, if they watched the OSU/Michigan game and Michigan's balanced attack. If this game ends up being around the mid 20s-30s in points, it plays into OSU's hands. Every big game I've seen OSU play, if it stood in the 20s, Tressel grinds it out like no other coach I've seen and only saw lose once and that was vs Texas in '05. Oh, as I mentioned before, OSU is making its fourth trip to the Fiesta Bowl this decade. The environment will not be something new for them.

Who's your pick and reason for it?

P.S. Damn USC >< If only they had not lost to UCLA at the end of the season.

and Umm WOW... could this prediction bee anymore off the mark?

Where are all you nay sayers now????

LOL... troy smith get smacked with the heisman jinx... its all over...

interesting....

but if someone can just clarify what BCS stands for in this instance it might make more sense to me. At the moment I am puzzled how the British Computer Society has managed to get its hands into American College Football

Michigan still beat Notre Dame so thats all that matters haha

your bragging that Michigan beat Notre dame?

I mean really?

In that crap of a conference>?

LOL

OMG!

Yes the BCS is Fookerd up, but it will remain that way, at least the BCS got it right for once...

interesting....

but if someone can just clarify what BCS stands for in this instance it might make more sense to me. At the moment I am puzzled how the British Computer Society has managed to get its hands into American College Football
Bowl Championship Series... see wikipediad entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series
its how they formulate who should play who for the collegiate American football championship...

Enjoy...

I don't understand how the BCS Championship Game is bigger than the Superbowl.

I don't understand how the BCS Championship Game is bigger than the Superbowl.

I dont know that it is bigger... but in total the BCS brings in ALOT more ratings than the superbowl.. the difference is there are TONS of bowl games.. and its college football vs pro football...

Hehe

Mike A!

Well, last night's outcome actually supports my point. While I did think it should be OSU vs. Michigan, it turns out that Florida did deserve a shot at the NC. Then again, so did others.

Last night's game, like the Boise St vs. Oklahoma game, and many others in past years, proves that the "experts" don't really know, and that neither a computer nor human votes are good enough to decide who deserves a shot at the NC.

Boise St. was the George Mason of NCAA Football this year, but unlike George Mason, Boise St. didn't get a shot at the NC. Boise St. ends up with a perfect record this season -- no losses -- but they don't even get a chance to win the championship. Sure, they had an easier schedule than some of the higher-ranked teams, but they beat a traditional powerhouse in a bowl game, and they shouldn't be punished by the strength of the other teams in their conference. Note, they are the ONLY undefeated team left, how can they do better than that to deserve a shot?

There needs to be a playoff system. I started this thread wanting that to be the main point, but I used the championship matchup as the reason. Now that all the dust has settled, I feel like there is even more to support the need for a playoff system. I don't know if it will ever happen, but it needs to -- otherwise we'll be left thinking "what if?" at the end of every season.

So the big 10 is ioverrated,...so is the ACC. That is the inherent flaw with the BCS in that the 6 major conferences get an automatic bid, while someone from a smaller conference has finsih really high in order tomake it to a top level bowl. All the BCS was supposed to do was to make sure that the two top teams play each other, no more split champions. On that they have hit the mark inconsisitently.

As long as there is pre-season voting you will have some teams , that start up high and not fall to far, while you will have some teams start real low and take foreever to get to the top. what they should do is hold the votng process until after the first 2 games.

I think both of you are totally missing the point...
You cant have your cake and eat it too... and what I mean by that is this:

I agree with Muzi that there NEEDS to be a playoff system... HOWEVER... if you do that HOW do you determine who gets how much money???

Based on where they are in the bracket??? Colleges have long been against a playoff BECAUSE of the offset of costs by playing in a bowl game (especially a big one)

As for Falcons suggestion that the ACC is overrated... since when? We have NEVER been overrated. Until BC, VT and Miami joined the conference the ACC was never even considered a viable conference, and now people are bitching because we get more credit... which is it people?? So, before you jump back on that band wagon check how many teams we put in there and the games we played, the ACC has done tremendously well these past few years. As for your comment about the Big10 vs the ACC anyone in the ACC can beat anyone in the ACC any given week much like the SEC, the Big10 has three teams OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin... and who else? There are not three other teams in the conference which could beat any of those... so all you Big 10 followers can put the signs down, get off the soapboxes and go back home... Now, lets talk facts...

To strengthen my case look at last years bowl games... the ACC was the number one conference represented... I wonder why? Because there is no "goto team" anymore.

The ACC will remain competitive in football and always will be competitve in basketball... and the inherent problems with the current system will haunt college football for at least one more year...

I don't care about the logistics of who gets how much money -- they figured it out in basketball and baseball, so figure it out in football as well. I'm viewing this strictly from the standpoint of trying to best determine who deserves a shot at the NC each season. Florida could have easily NOT been in the title game, and I'll admit that they were better suited for it than I originally thought.

The only "overrated" comment you'll hear from me is toward Notre Dame. They got embarrassed in their bowl game, and I don't think they deserved to be in a BCS bowl game at all. They got in because of their name and following, and that sucks because that means another deserving team didn't get into a BCS bowl at all. Notre Dame will be great again, but they weren't great this year. Didn't they start off pre-season #2? What a joke. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back