BBC Online Catches On...

Yeah, read this earlier this morning. :p
Seems to me that they're moving towards another eDonkey-like p2p app with the tracker thing on top.

I like the way they have cropped suprnova.o
so no-one can guess the url.

Love the misinformation tho, osn't exeem developed by some other third party who have employed the webmaster to pimp it?

I come to realise the demise of suprnova was a good thing, cause loads of people have been reporting the death of BitTorrent, but its barely slowed down. People just moved to other very capable sites. Keeps the idiots away :)

Khayman said:
I come to realise the demise of suprnova was a good thing, cause loads of people have been reporting the death of BitTorrent, but its barely slowed down. People just moved to other very capable sites. Keeps the idiots away :)
Amen to that!

thekore said:
the registration on such sites is getting annoying tho.
Yeah, 30-seconds of your time for gigs and gigs of free data is SUCH a pain in the arse. Man, damn those registration forms! :dead: :rolleyes:

SPeedY_B said:
Yeah, 30-seconds of your time for gigs and gigs of free data is SUCH a pain in the arse. Man, damn those registration forms! :dead: :rolleyes:
Still, dosen't that go against all the "free sorce! free software! down with evil MS OMGBBG!" crap?

SPeedY_B said:
Ehm, how?
Because its done in order to make money.
The more "registered users" you have the more you can charge some enlarge your eyebrow company for an add.
As usual the thing that gets in the way of a Marxist utopia are greedy people :p

everyone needs to make money, the server's which host these sites aren't free. More users may well mean more advertising based revenue, but it also means more bandwidth and possibly server resources, meaning more cost.

I've never seen a problem with registering for sites in which you can post content to (registering just to read seems a bit pointless) you had to register to post here. Registrations help site owners keep things in check. I see no problem with them.

Me nither, more exactly I coulden't care less.
I just find it amusing thats all. We both realize that although no one will admit it torrent, like any other file-sharing thingamabob, is (mostly) used to download pirate software/media.
And although its still cheaper (The internet connection+time+risk+14 help mobamto escape kenia ads) then actualy buying the software/media, you still are paying someone for it.

I rather pay the creator then the ilegal distributor, unless the creator charges to much (MS,Adobe,Symantec,Any other decent software company).
With time prices will balance, and people will stop using torrent, and then all the supernova sites will just die out and their owner will be out of a gold mine - and that makes me smile :p

They're really not making that much, Sloncek (Apologies if the spelling is incorrect) was getting over 3.5-million hits per day to suprnova.org at one point, now to support that costs a lot, that's more hits than slashdot. The guy made just enough to support the site from the ads, and maybe enough left over to buy a sandwhich for lunch.

The guy is (or was?) actually in his teens and by no means set out to make cash from the venture. Some of the newcomers to the scene may have jumped onto the "underhand ads = money" bandwagon, but many of them will realise, with the type of sites they're running, it's actually really hard to make a profit.

None of the sites i use have registration :)

Which sites do you actually have to pay to register at? Lots of BT sites might use registration, trackers, and torrent-passcodes to keep their torrents private, but I have never seen one that required payment.

As for sloncek, he said himself in his interview that when it first started, he just wanted to make money off of websites. Obviously he soon realized suprnova, the site, wasn't going to make him rich. IMHO he's been trying to turn his suprnova success into some kind of profit ever since. Exeem seemed to be the answer to his problems both financial and legal. Bah to exeem! However, I do love all the attention given to it. Maybe it'll give the other sites some slack.

vern said:
Which sites do you actually have to pay to register at? Lots of BT sites might use registration, trackers, and torrent-passcodes to keep their torrents private, but I have never seen one that required payment.

As for sloncek, he said himself in his interview that when it first started, he just wanted to make money off of websites. Obviously he soon realized suprnova, the site, wasn't going to make him rich. IMHO he's been trying to turn his suprnova success into some kind of profit ever since. Exeem seemed to be the answer to his problems both financial and legal. Bah to exeem! However, I do love all the attention given to it. Maybe it'll give the other sites some slack.

what is so wrong about making money off of something that you work hard at?

Where did I say it was wrong?

I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do with their work. I am merely stating the obvious. As for exeem, I don't care how much money he makes. May he make millions, but the fact remains that as far as we know, he has had nothing to do with development aside from being it's frontman and using the closure and popularity of Suprnova to market it.

I've had no problem with those either, spose it's just knowing the right people in most cases, other than that though I've usually just had to ask and I've been invited. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back