Battlefield 2142 Demo

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
So is anyone here playing the demo for BF2142? I just got it last night, and I have been playing it quite a bit. What do you guys think of it?

I played the beta release and I can tell you the Demo is 10x better. If I had to make my decision off of the beta I wouldn't even bother with the game.

Well thats what beta's are for... so they can find the problems and fix them.

But so far the demo is really fun, There is enough different about it that it doesnt come accross as a dressed up BF2. The basic mechanics are the same, but thats about it. I cant wait for the full game, glad I preorded it! :)

Got it, played it...

Has anyone else run into this? Seems to be a major bug with the keystroke processing. I'd get stuck runningor straffing in a direction or the gun would jam on until keyboard buffer depleted. That has got to be fixed before I would buy it.

Video lag was better than BF2.

Internet lag with 44 players seemed ok.

High textures were good, medium textures were disappointing.

The Mech (aka walker) was a joke.

Vehicle weapons were quirky at best. Hard to aim, inconsistent lock on ability, take too long to charge, too much balistic droop.

Hand weapons seemd pretty good but how the Engineer rocket launcher locks beats me (or the vehicle ECM was affecting it). Anyone know?

Looks and plays like a cross between Tribes 2 and UT 2004. Not better than either sadly.

http://megagames.com/news/html/demos/battlefield2142demo.shtml

Got it, played it...

Has anyone else run into this? Seems to be a major bug with the keystroke processing. I'd get stuck runningor straffing in a direction or the gun would jam on until keyboard buffer depleted. That has got to be fixed before I would buy it.

Video lag was better than BF2.

Internet lag with 44 players seemed ok.

High textures were good, medium textures were disappointing.

The Mech (aka walker) was a joke.

Vehicle weapons were quirky at best. Hard to aim, inconsistent lock on ability, take too long to charge, too much balistic droop.

Hand weapons seemd pretty good but how the Engineer rocket launcher locks beats me (or the vehicle ECM was affecting it). Anyone know?

Looks and plays like a cross between Tribes 2 and UT 2004. Not better than either sadly.

http://megagames.com/news/html/demos/battlefield2142demo.shtml

Thats odd, I havnt had that issue. Perhaps you should check the EA forums.

The walkers are tricky, took me quite a while to get it down. Once you figure out the systems and the tactics about it.... its pretty good. Just watch out for tanks and Engineers :p

I think some of the charge up stuff and what not will be tweaked, if not before release, later on from a patch. I agree some of the reloading times are a bit long. The sniper rifle is way to accurate, I can sit back and just destroy people with it.... but the zoom isnt enough on it. Its like a medium range rifle. Perhaps one of those many many unlocks is a better ranged sniper rifle then :)

The Engineer rocket launcher is the same as it was in BF2, you have to hold down the LMB to guide it to the target, if you just click and let it go then you take your eye away from the aiming reticule and begin to reload, and the rocket just goes were you pointed it.

Is it just me or do all the graphics not stack up to bf2 graphics? Some textures just look like crap. When I play the game the controls feel awkward and sluggish somewhat. This game has great promise but I will most likely be waiting for a few patches before I buy it.

Last edited:
Personally I think that it looks better than BF2, they use more bump (normal) maps and items are actually shiny now. Texture quality itself is on par or better than BF2 imo.

Its growing on me. But it still seems sluggish when im running and turning Maybe thats on purpose because of all the armor and stuff.

those of us with SLI video need to rename the 2142.exe to bf2.exe to get it running at its best. !

also those of us with LCD widescreen can add the custom res on the command line, right click and properties on the shortcut and paste in your resolution so it looks simular to mine.

"D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142 Demo\BF2142.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

(unless its been renamed then its bf2.exe)

those of us with SLI video need to rename the 2142.exe to bf2.exe to get it running at its best. !

You can do that, or alternatively you could make your own custom profile for 2142, using the coolbits registry hack to unlock those options in the driver control panel. You would need to examine what rendering mode BF2 uses for SLI, then apply that same setting to your BF2142 profile as well.

I dont have SLI myself so I can not check this... but with my understanding of how the system works this method should work as well.

The Engineer rocket launcher is the same as it was in BF2, you have to hold down the LMB to guide it to the target, if you just click and let it go then you take your eye away from the aiming reticule and begin to reload, and the rocket just goes were you pointed it.

Hmm, thought I was doing that. I'll pay more attention. Thanks.

First day was great on lag but now I keep getting constant "Connection problems" messages lasting 5-10 seconds on multiple servers. Anyone else seeing this.

Thats odd, have you checked to make sure all the ports are open? There are a lot of shared ports between BF2 and 2142, but 2142 has a few unique ones. Its actually annoying how many ports you have to open in order to get it to work.

Aprox-

Thanks. I've been guiding the rockets wrong in BF2 for over a year :dead: shooting straight in BF2 and BF 2142 now.

The Connection problem thing is wide spread but varies player to player and game to game. I played one whole game great today then it came back. It did get me checking my line quality which lead to a service call from SWBELL for Monday... My DSl speed has dropped by about 25% over the last couple months.

I'm not the only one with the "can't stop moving problem" but it has not got any threads on the EA and gamer forums yet. Two gaming buddies don't have the problem but have seen in game chat comments from other people with the same problem. Tried a new keyboard, removing my KVM switch and changing my keyboard settings in windows. No luck yet.

If anyone hears more about this IM me. Thanks.

Venom-
Video is definitely as good as, maybe better than BF2 (I was just game hoping). There seems to be more fine detail in BF2 and the screens are too dark in 2142 for my taste. But, sitting back and judging overall quality 2142 seems smoother at the same AA settings than BF2. More life like. All these comments may just be this particular map. It is supposed to be drap and dreary.

2142 definitely uses less resources from my X800XL and, Praise GOD!, they got rid of those annoying HD accesses that lag me out occasionally in BF2. :)

The vehicle rich environment is better. More fun like BF Desert Combat was.

Last edited:
I was playing BF2142 today and I saw this!

Actually I just thought it would be funny if I photoshopped up this inevitable parody in light of recent events :)

2142jokeqz2.jpg

Ah, interesting update on the current state of affairs. Good to know, being that I get my pre-ordered copy from UPS tomorrow I may or may not install it yet.

So you pay money for this and still have to look at ads?

Since you paid for the game you should get a % of the ad profits IMO.

Heads up:

I have 2 friends who bought the game and they are both experiencing boots from servers after 3-5 minutes of play. This appears to still be a wide spread problem even though EA claims that "adjustments they made to the demo servers" resolved the issue.

I may have a fix for the spyware issue depending on how XP works. Need advice from the XP gurus here:
-Make a new account with limited privileges.
-Just install BF2 there.
Never use that account for anything but (BF 2142 and other games). There should be no activity to record unless BF 2142 can get sufficient privileges to access other accounts on the machine. Will this work?

The ad's are an annoyance and we gamers should all be discouraging them or they will become common. i.e. vote with your wallet and don't buy the game until EA folds and removes them.

PS A friend who is even more paranoid than me had a scary thought. If EA gets away with this you will start seeing TV type commercials on your XBOX 360 and PS3 within a year or 2. The technology is there already... :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back