i hav a Barracuda 7200.7 SATA ST3160023AS
160GB but xp only pikin up 149GB y?

wat dos this mean

Windows XP on a traditional motherboard
Windows XP on a PCI Controller Card

wich 1 wuld i do

i also hav SP2 and all updates up to date
its a sata not ide and it the only HD on PC

Hard Drive manufacturers rate the capacity of their Hard Drives differently than DOS or Windows does. Under DOS or Windows 1 K is really 1024 bytes and 1 M or Meg is 1048576 bytes. But to a Hard Drive manufacturer 1 K is 1K. Lets look at some examples.
4 gig Hard Drive is being reported by Windows 95 as being only 3910 M bytes in size. Which is correct, but to find the actual bytes we need to multiply that 3910 M bytes by 1048576 to find the total. That figure after multiplying is 4099932160 which is in excess of 4 gig by 99932160 or roughly 100 meg.
3 gig drives actually come out to 3211788288 bytes.
5 gig drives come out to 5000749056
Curious as to what your drive really is. Boot your computer to Windows. Choose the option to restart your computer in MS Dos mode or if using Win 3.1 then just exit Windows. While at a DOS prompt type FDISK and press enter. Tell it to enable large disk support if prompted and continue to the FDISK program. Once in FDISK choose option 4 to view the drive specifications. You should see a C drive and a NON-Dos partition. The sizes listed there need to be multiplied by the below conversion factors to make total bytes of the drive. After viewing the drive sizes simply use the ESC key to exit the FDISK program and to get back to the prompt. You may then restart your computer.
1 M= 1048576 bytes 1 K = 1024 bytes

If you respond to this paste what ever you type in word first and run spell checker. Then and only then paste it in here. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back