Bandwidth priority

coathanger007

Tomorrow Tweaking Today
Does anyone know how I can prioritize which applications get priority to my dialup bandwidth. I know download accelerators have a download speed limit. But how about browsers, instant messaging (which keeps getting disconnected) etc? There must be freeware out there.

You can try enabling the QoS service in your network settings.

All that will do is save 30% bandwidth for MS use, and it wont be allowed to be used by other apps.

Personally ive always had it disabled, even with Dialup, as it did give me a bit of extra bandwidth just for IM's.

it is possible to assign qos to your own good.

I'll try to find the method

ok, this only works for programs that are written qos aware not just ms programs

also, I haven't ever tried this, I'm just pasting the directions...in addittion, tis is not availabel in home, but maybe j79 has the reg settings to make this available in home xp also

YOU NEED TO BE LOGGED IN AS THE Administrator. Do not log on with any account that just has administrator privilegesM but the administrator

To log in as Administrator:
- Click on start->logoff->logoff
- At the logon screen hold Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- In the user field type 'Administrator'
- In the password field type the password for the administrator (if ou don't have one leave blank) and press OK
Click on the Start button and select run.
Type gpedit.msc in the text box and click OK
Once the program loads, expand the Computer configuration branch.
Expand the Administrative templates branch.
Expand the Network branch.
Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler in left window.
In right window double click the limit reservable bandwidth setting
On setting tab check the enabled option.
Where it says Bandwidth limit %, change it to read what ever percent you want to reserve for QoS-aware applications.
Click OK and exit the group policy editor.
Go to your Network connections (start->my computer->my network connection-> view network connections).
Right click on your connection, choose properties then under the General or the Networking tab (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.
Now just reboot your computer and you are all done.
When a QoS-aware program is in use it will reserve the allocated amount of bandwidth and that will take away form other non QoS-aware programs. However, once the QoS-aware application is closed or closes the network connection, the bandwidth reservation is released. This is done by a series of PATH and RESV refresh messages sent back and fourth over the connection. Once these messages are no longer detected, the data flow is closed and the reservation of bandwidth is eliminated.

Thanks for the response though it doesn't seem to be very configurable. How can I tell if an application is QoS aware?

Ummm...that was a monitoring software and doesn't have anything to do with priorities. At least you tried :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back