Ball Bearing of a Laptop Fan

zapoqx

Striking Master
Hey all, I need help once again...
My laptop is somewhat in bad shape. Apparently, from what my friend said after hearing the sound, he said that my ball bearing it causing this sound on my fan where it sounds like a piece of cord is accedentally hitting the fan blade. Now I have 3 major games I play on the laptop because surprisingly, it is better and smoother to play than on my computer (I know, reversed).

Anyway, is there anything I can use temporarily to keep the laptop cooled down without worrying about the fan starting up?
Thanks

I use one and I like them very much , reason I use it is because the laptop gets heavy usage ...

Notebook coolers are designed to cool the bottom surface of a notebook. That helps but it is not a replacement for an internal cooling fan. It needs to be rerplaced.

What is make and model of laptop and we can look for fan replacemnt info.

LeeJend said:
Notebook coolers are designed to cool the bottom surface of a notebook. That helps but it is not a replacement for an internal cooling fan. It needs to be rerplaced.

What is make and model of laptop and we can look for fan replacemnt info.

Hmm, any site that I could also find some laptop fans. My cousin's CPU fan is going. (Averatec laptop)

Well, I know I can get it replaced when I go to NJ for the holidays so I can stop by a CompUSA since its under Warrenty.
It is an HP Pavilion L2005cu Special Edition (A Lance Armstrong LiveStrong type).

Oh and I know there is a cooler that I remember seeing at Fry's Electronics, but ya, I understand it can't replace an internal Fan but I just need something temporary for at least 2 weeks.

wow if its under warranty still get it fixed ASAP. you could be damaging more stuff realtivly soon if the fan is going bottoms up.

zapoqx - an external cooler is not a replacement for the internal fan. If the internal one goes you are at risk of frying the laptop. Back up all your data NOW if you intend to keep using it until it gets repaired. Note the risk of damage is lower if it is a Pentium M based system. The CPUs are pretty smart about heat management. If it is AMD based you are pushing your luck.

Admiral - need to know the make and model of laptop to look for a replacement. Even then you may need to disassemble the laptop and check the fan measurements, connection type and power rating.

LeeJend said:
zapoqx - an external cooler is not a replacement for the internal fan. If the internal one goes you are at risk of frying the laptop. Back up all your data NOW if you intend to keep using it until it gets repaired. Note the risk of damage is lower if it is a Pentium M based system. The CPUs are pretty smart about heat management. If it is AMD based you are pushing your luck.

Admiral - need to know the make and model of laptop to look for a replacement. Even then you may need to disassemble the laptop and check the fan measurements, connection type and power rating.

I'll have to get the model number. but the CPU fan is easily accessible, there is a cover that can be removed that basically exposes the cpu and cooler.

Admiral - measure the spacing on the fan mounting holes and the thickness of the fan. The info you need from the fan label is:

Hole spacing
Fan thickness
Voltage - probably 12V
Current - around 0.1 Adc usually
CFM - this varies a lot, it stands for cubic feet per minute. i.e. How much air it moves

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/1509-1518.pdf

Don't know if you they will ship to Canada.

Well thanks guys, from what you all make it sound, I think I'll try to find a ride to CompUSA today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back