BakUpTips

a1ehouse

Chamone M*tha Fu*ka
Has anyone got any really nifty bakup techniques to share.

e.g. a batch file that will back up documents/folders/Outlook settings etc??

Does anyone have a strict regime on backing up besides running a drive image every week?

Love to hear from ya!

I keep a folder on my e: drive named "Backup". In that folder are several sub-folders (Outlook, Netscape, Word, Registry, Templates, etc). Every so often I copy my bookmarks (favorites), cookies, registry, normal.dot, *.pst, etc to this folder.

I also do image, but the weekly image is only my boot drive and it goes to my e: drive. Every so often I'll do a complete image to CD's.

Microsoft came up with a nifty little feature called migration. This option is available on the XP CD-ROM. When you use migration is saves your email, favorites, settings, etc. Check it out.

do you manually "export" settings as it were, so you have a completely up-to-date inbox etc. or do you automate it allan?

madmatt - can migration be a set and forget or is it a manual type thang?

I just want to keep my pc up automatically without having to image every other week. (My motto's always been - if it ain't broke, break it!!!)

No, it is a manual use function.

Do you have a ZIP drive? or any Iomega product?

Originally posted by madmatt
No, it is a manual use function.

Do you have a ZIP drive? or any Iomega product?

I got a CD/RW drive and also an 80 Gb hard drive partitioned to death!

Where is it on the CD m8?

Iomega has a nifty little program that backs up whatever you choose on change. That's why I wondered.

Insert the CD
Perform additional tasks
Transfer files and settings

It's a good feature. Too bad you have to have the CD-ROM every time you want to perform it, but it works.

On XP Pro press winkey+R type migwiz.exe

Or start>All Progs>Accessor>systools>files and settings

I use both a simple batch file I created and manual drag & drop. BTW, if I'm not mistaken there is a fairly new (free I believe) utility available (from MS????) that automates the backup of your Outlook files. I haven't looked into it because I have the batch file created already and that's just as simple for me.

I must admit, I prefer allan's method. I have D:\Saved Files and every couple of weeks I copy and paste what I want and need. That way I know I am getting all of it and getting it right.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back