Backup software:

ShepsCrook

Red Sox Fan!
I'm having a hard time finding a good software for backing up data from a server to an offsite location for avoiding risk of lossing important information.
Basically, the data would have to be transfered over the internet and possibly to another machine or a network storage drive. More than likely another machine. I was thinking of some sort of image program, but transfering that to a drive over the net might take some time. Also, I was thinking of setting up one as an FTP server and maybe finding some way of making an automated backup to the server or storage.

Any suggestions?

You have a couple of options, actually.

The first is to use disk imaging software like True Image or Ghost to create a disk image that will be transferred over the network. Yes, disk images can be huge, but one thing you can do to minimize the amount of data transferred over the network is to use the incremental backup option that most good disk imaging software includes. In this case, you'd have one big "full" image that you'd transfer the first time, and any subsequent images would simply be smaller incremental ones.

The other option is to use a file-based backup/synchronization utility with the ability to backup to network shares. SyncBack is one good option. This will backup files individually as they are created/modified, so the amount of data being transferred over the network at any given time is lower. You also won't be backing up system/program files, so again, this means you're transferring a smaller amount of data, but this is also more time consuming to recover from a complete system failure compared to a full system image.

These are your two basic options. I would suggest evaluating the pros/cons of both of them and picking the one that best suits your purpose.

acronis true image can do both file and full image

i personally use true image for full OS drive backups, and microsofts synctoy for my docs/mp3/photos backups.
one handy feature of true image over a network, is that you can specify the amount of bandwidth you want to use over the network.

Yes, I know these will work over a network, but what about over the internet? Do the programs allow syncing over the net?

I was thinking True Image would work well for making a full image. And I was going to use the Free version 7.0 to create an image of the machine for the initial backup, then after that do some sort of syncing.

over the internet - set up VPN - than you are networked over a tunnel through the 'net and all is good to go.... and as for ACronis - I recommend making the first image when you have lots of time or can use a removable media - after that incrementals should be no problem over the net

Well, the VPN isn't really needed. Just an automated system for backing up what is on a server to a remote location just in case anything happens to the server.

Like said; nothing will beat Acronis True Imge server for the job you want to have done ..

Yes, I know these will work over a network, but what about over the internet? Do the programs allow syncing over the net?...
that's why I mentioned VPN... guess you are after some kind of contrrol panel thinger then? Like routers that config via browser?

Well, I'm after just some way of transfering that data to an outside storage server on another network and need a program for that. FTP would work as long as I could make it automated to do so at a certain time each day.

Well, the FTP server would be a home computer with enough storage built into it that it would be able to handle backups for a while.

The only setback is, dynamic IP addresses. I think the office has a static one. MAYBE, but the household one will definitely be dynamic. I'd have to make it so the household one would be downloading from the static IP one just to make it so that it won't change and not be able to back up.

Yes, I know these will work over a network, but what about over the internet? Do the programs allow syncing over the net?

I was thinking True Image would work well for making a full image. And I was going to use the Free version 7.0 to create an image of the machine for the initial backup, then after that do some sort of syncing.

v9 server supports image to FTP

Hmmm, I was looking for minimal cost. Although V9 might just be an option.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back