Backup Software

jpom

OSNN Addict
I'm looking for software to run an automatic backup every few days.

I have 3 drives in the computer and a 4th IDE removable drive. 2 of the drives need to be backed up completely and the 3rd drive only has various folders that need to be backed up and they all go onto the removable drive. I want to do an incremental backup so that the first time I run it, it will back up everything, and after that I can delete/change/add files and folders and the program will adjust that backup set, I do not want to create a new one with the corresponding changes everytime I run the backup.

I have tried Nero Back-it-up but have found it quite lacking and just a royal pain in the rear, although when it does work properly it does exactly what I want.

I also noticed in past threads that a bunch of folks suggested Argentum Backup. I like this program except for one problem, it won't create seperete folders for each drive (that I've found) If I do a backup job into a folder on the removable drive called "Backup" then everything from all 3 drives gets thrown into that folder, some of the folders on different drives are named the same, so that stuff gets all mixed in together. It jsut causes problems, I suppose that I could do 3 seperate backup jobs, one after another but I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion for a piece of software that will do the job I need done.

So if anybody does have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
James

Have you tried Windows Backup. It's built into 2000, XP and 2003. It's a cut down version of Veritas Backup and will do the job you are looking it for.

You could also look into SyncBack. It's free, and it does a nice job with incremental backups. :)

Nothing beats Acronis True Image ...

Well I ended trying a trial version of Genie Backup Manager:Home version. So far I am impressed, but i think I will look into Syncback since it's website makes it sound almost exactly like this genie software except it's free.

One thing I should have mentioned in my previous post is that while not essential I would prefer a program that has a file-copy mode as oppsed to using a proprietairy (sp) compression format. I don't think windows backup will do that.

Also I have looked into ghost but I don't really want an image of the drive but rather a file backup and I don't think ghost will do that. I have never tried True Image, if Genie or Syncback don't pan out maybe I'll take a look.

Thanks for all the help,
James

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back