Backup across network-(a question)

B

bheagle

Ok here's the deal, I have a snap server appliance, the only connection it has is a 10/100 network... I also have a home built file server (it will be replacing the snap) I want to copy the entire contents from the snap to the new fileserver including OPEN files, so I have to be able to copy across a very busy network... anyone have a good freeware suggestion for software to do this copy, so far I have tried;

Windows commander ( syncronize dir feature) it crashes with a OUT OF MEMORY error.. which I know is not the case since I have 1 gig of rd400 in this fileserver...

Windows Copy Feature (very very slow)

and the latest try is something called "Hands Off Backup" it's only been running an hour so far, but I'm open and searching for anything that works....

Thanks

I would recommend that you use the Backup utility in Windows first to make everything into ONE file. Then copy that file over and use the Backup utility to uncompress them. It takes awhile to backup all the files, but in the long run it will copy faster because it is ONE file and not thousands.

Yes but Windows won't backup open files, it skips them. Or am I wrong?

Turn on ftp on the snap server
Create an ftpuser on the snap server
On the new fileserver use an ftp client and log into the snap server, then transfer the files.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back