Backing up my system... advice?

J

Jannae

I have upgraded my PC so that I'm at about 170 Gb now. I think I'd like to look into getting a tape backup drive. Obviously, it doesn't have to be able to back up 170 Gb, but I don't really want one of the 2/4 Gb ones either.

Does any one have any advice on a nice consumer-level tape drive? It could be external, or internal... new or refurbished... I really don't care... I just want to be able to afford it... not to mention the media!

I've been thinking Ebay would be the best place to find one, but i really don't think i know exactly what i'm looking for, so i was hoping someone could help me out in that department.

Thanks!
~ Jannae.

You could get a DAT drive.. they store anywhere from 2 to 40GB compressed on one tape..

You'd probably be better off doing a hard drive image. With 170 gigabytes I would hope you would have enough free space to keep a backup of your necessary files.

But with that one she would have to use her existing 170GB drive; no?

I think what might be an alternative to a tape drive is a removable HDD; a large capacity one; but I think as of now; the largest is 160GB.

Well she used the term upgraded, and I've never heard of a 170GB hard drive, therefore I'm assuming there are at least 2 drives in the system. She also said she doesnt have to back up all 170 Gigabytes, maybe even adding a smaller hard drive to the system would be cheaper then buying a tape drive with a larger capacity. As you rise in capacity, tape drive prices escalate rapidly.

I looked around prices on pricewatch.com; and come to think of it; a larger HDD will be cheapter then a high/mid capacity drive; so that's an alternative.

I'm hoping Jannae doesn't forget about her post; and that she will come back and read this. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back