Background/foreground both set to black!

M

MrBib2000

My daughter managed to change both her foreground and backround colors to black. I can't even tell where a window is, much less select options, so I can't change the settings.
Is there an easy recovery for this or do I have do delete her account and start a new one?

I tried (for the first time) to start up in safe mode, but my Dell ignores the F8 key on start-up. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!

try to boot safe mode again...turn on power and tap that f8 key till it kicks in...

Thanks. Tapping the key got me into safe mode.
However, the display is still unreadable, just at a lower resolution. I had hoped it would set-up the colors to some workable default.
I guess she'll just have to start a new account and delete the old one.
Will deleting a user account delete the user's files, or do they stay behind? I'll back them up anyways, mostly curious.
Thanks for the help!

(i'm asumeing you can get into XP on your account which works?)

in regedit go to HKEY_USERS and under there should be settings for all the users for your computer. locate the key for her settings.

this maybe easyer said then done becuase it may have a long S-XX number for each user (i'm not on XP at the mo so can't check)
just look for a key that will identify which user is which, under software perhaps.

When you've found which one is hers navigate to control panel then colors - this is where the colors settings are stored (obviously), you can either change the values indivdualy or just export your settings and import them again (changing the key location to hers obviously)

Hope this helps

If you can log in as Administrator, try this:

Start menu > Run > type "gpedit.msc"

this will open the Win XP general policy editor. from here you can force certain OS features.

Try the otion to force a theme/style under:

User Configuration
+ Administrative Templates
++Contol Panel
+++Display
++++Desktop themes

--> "Load specific visual style or force windows classic"

Try the force the Luna theme or windows classic. I would assume it will reset and apperence changes made by the users. Remeber to unlock this once fixed so she can screw it up again...I mean customize it to her style.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back