Background for Thumb Drive

J

JayMc

Hey Guys can anyone give me the steps to make my Thumb drive background look like a Desktop?... saw a friend with it but he's clueless to how it is done, claims a friend did it for him!

Not quite sure what you mean, could you take a screenshot of his thumbdrive in action?

someone installed DSL onto a thumbdrive? (Damn small Linux)

ok here is a shot... where the plain background is, thats where the wallpaper or Pic is going be. so i'd like to know the steps to getting it done...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
You can't assign a wallpaper to the background of the Explorer window. Unless there is a third party download out there that allows it, but Windows simply doesn't.

You can use desktop.ini to customize the folder (such as an icon).

You can't assign a wallpaper to the background of the Explorer window. Unless there is a third party download out there that allows it, but Windows simply doesn't.

You can use desktop.ini to customize the folder (such as an icon).

I seem to remember something about a .ini file where you could manually set a custom background for a folder. Perhaps that could be used to setup a custom background for the thumb drive.

I've tried Googling but nothing comes up.

The only customization options available for the desktop.ini file are folder type, folder picures, and folder icons. That I am aware of anyway.

Well, you could set the background color- that's for sure and I think that a background image is possible... More than likely though they put DSL on it - this is pretty popular these days.

Are you sure it was on pc? Mac users can create a disk image and customize the background, icons, labels, and font, then save it on a jumpdrive.

Well, you could set the background color- that's for sure and I think that a background image is possible... More than likely though they put DSL on it - this is pretty popular these days.

Are you sure it was on pc? Mac users can create a disk image and customize the background, icons, labels, and font, then save it on a jumpdrive.

TADA:

http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku/

Now for my next trick, I will pull a rabbit from my server :p

so.... hence no one knows how to get the wallpaper as a background on the thumb drive?.... i'm still interested to know!

P.S Tried the link Admiral gave but got error msg in command prompt..." file not found" and the notepad info wouldn't save... still need help!

I got the color part to work.

I'm wondering how do you make it roll out to affect all folders not just one. Only the color part though.

Works well.

As for the error, navigate to the folder before the folder you want to change.

Eg I have New Folder on my desktop so I go

Code:
cd c:\documents and settings\admiral michael\desktop
hit enter

now type
Code:
attrib +s "New Folder"
replace New Folder with the folder you want to change.

now right click anywhere in that folder and click on "Refresh" and TADA!

Attachments

• works.JPG
    works.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 245
Ok... i'll try that, however this is for the thumb drive aka removeable drive, hence the wallpaper should display regardless of the PC its used on right?

So don't specify a drive, but rather an path that is relative to the directory you are putting it in.

In Windows 2000 and before there was an option to set a background for each folder.

That is really cool, I'll have to try that out ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back