Background for Thumb Drive

JayMc

OSNN Junior Addict
Hey Guys can anyone give me the steps to make my Thumb drive background look like a Desktop?... saw a friend with it but he's clueless to how it is done, claims a friend did it for him!

JayMc

OSNN Junior Addict
ok here is a shot... where the plain background is, thats where the wallpaper or Pic is going be. so i'd like to know the steps to getting it done...

Attachments

Last edited:

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
You can't assign a wallpaper to the background of the Explorer window. Unless there is a third party download out there that allows it, but Windows simply doesn't.

You can use desktop.ini to customize the folder (such as an icon).

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
You can't assign a wallpaper to the background of the Explorer window. Unless there is a third party download out there that allows it, but Windows simply doesn't.

You can use desktop.ini to customize the folder (such as an icon).
I seem to remember something about a .ini file where you could manually set a custom background for a folder. Perhaps that could be used to setup a custom background for the thumb drive.

I've tried Googling but nothing comes up.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
The only customization options available for the desktop.ini file are folder type, folder picures, and folder icons. That I am aware of anyway.

Techno Child

web{designer}
Well, you could set the background color- that's for sure and I think that a background image is possible... More than likely though they put DSL on it - this is pretty popular these days.

Are you sure it was on pc? Mac users can create a disk image and customize the background, icons, labels, and font, then save it on a jumpdrive.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Well, you could set the background color- that's for sure and I think that a background image is possible... More than likely though they put DSL on it - this is pretty popular these days.

Are you sure it was on pc? Mac users can create a disk image and customize the background, icons, labels, and font, then save it on a jumpdrive.
TADA:

http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku/

Now for my next trick, I will pull a rabbit from my server :p

JayMc

OSNN Junior Addict
so.... hence no one knows how to get the wallpaper as a background on the thumb drive?.... i'm still interested to know!

P.S Tried the link Admiral gave but got error msg in command prompt..." file not found" and the notepad info wouldn't save... still need help!

ejn74

Folding Master!
Political User
I got the color part to work.

I'm wondering how do you make it roll out to affect all folders not just one. Only the color part though.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Works well.

As for the error, navigate to the folder before the folder you want to change.

Eg I have New Folder on my desktop so I go

Code:
cd c:\documents and settings\admiral michael\desktop
hit enter

now type
Code:
attrib +s "New Folder"
replace New Folder with the folder you want to change.

now right click anywhere in that folder and click on "Refresh" and TADA!

Attachments

JayMc

OSNN Junior Addict
Ok... i'll try that, however this is for the thumb drive aka removeable drive, hence the wallpaper should display regardless of the PC its used on right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniew