Backends in the Active dtop

Tabula Rasa

Stranger Than Kindness
Political Access
Hey there matt, MdSalih and everyone.
I'm currently in the process of making a nice active Dtop, and i got most of it working. the only problem i have is getting the backends to work, i have IIS installed (everything except the SMTP server) and i tryed to run MdSalih's example straight from the PC i'm on and for some reason it wont work (i get a very strange output). then i thought of linking to the php that is on mdsalih's server, but that wont work either ( it tells me to download or opens it with dreamweaver.

any help please? i really want to get it to work.

Thanks in advance, Benny.

Ohhh, and i forgot to mention i am using frames, so that each backend (news and forum posts) is in a different frame.

Cheers.

You are trying to run XPERIENCE backends in order to display the latest news and forum posts?

I only installed IIS on XP once, and I got so sick of fighting with it and trying to get PHP to work that I uninstalled and did away with it. If you have access to a server with PHP installed I def. recommend using it off the server. The Windows version of PHP doesn't work as well and causes all sorts of problems and slow down's (at least it did for me).

I can tell you where I have my beta version stored if you want to try it that way. Up to you.

I'll appreciate if you'll tell me where yours is located, I do have access to server in which i can do whatever i like (more or less), but it will be easyer to see an example to "learn" from.

Thanks in advance m8 :)

Thank you matt, i think i have an idea about how to make everything work alright, I'll let you know how it all goes and will probably post a pic of the dtop in the future "December Desktops" thread.

BTW , do you know if it is possible to open a remote file into a layer?

Using PHP you can only use include(); for files on that server (BAH). However, in my quest to make one copy of the xperience desktop box I did figure out that you can pull a .CSS (from the <style> tag) from another location (even locally).

It's either I make generic themes, have everyone use it on their own server, or make them use my colors.

Themes, I don't really want to, nor have the time.
Own server, is in the lead, don't waste my bandwidth =)
My Colors, who wants to look like me?

hehe , well i can understand you on the "not really want to, nor have time" part. i'd probably be done with my dtop if i wouldn't have to wake up everyday at 430am and come home exosted at 4pm.
here's an idea: You , me and a couple more guys (or gals) can make a different variant for the xperience dtop each.
just a thought

That works for me, but how about this idea..

You, a couple of our other buds from xperience, and I can all go out for a few beers (however, I drink mine cold). Maybe Hooters?

oh, I am off topic. uhm... [=

Hooters? ohh well.
How about this one: you ,as a mod on this site, do that damn desktop thing on your own. and i ,as just a member volunteering for the good of this community and its members, wont kick the crap out of you for that last comment.

ehhm, where was I?

(j/k m8 , but i can see a "how bout this idea: i ban you" replay coming up)

*eats a cookie* guess you don't have them over there, it's a restaraunt by the way.

anyway, I plan on sitting down and working on the xperience block some time this weekend, not saying I will have it done, but I will get a good jump on it.

after finishing, or coming close, you are more than welcome to the code to add your own touch to it.

back to being hungry for a burger.

Okey Dokey,
and i know what Hooters is, and we don't have them over here, and even if we did i wouldn't go there (for same reason why i don't go to strip clubs).

Good luck again ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back