Backdoor.OptixPro.12 !!!!!

S

sacred2nite

I think i may have this virus (.Backdoor.OptixPro.12 ). NAV said i had it and it had removed it (it came from kazaa). Now i cant open most of my .exe's and NAV and firewall dont work. Symantec site tells you to scan computer with NAV and remove to reg key but i cant use 'regedit'.
How do i sort this out. Please help.
Thanks

P.S starting in safemode dont help at all

Just tried system restore and it dont work. Windows claims file dont exist!! this is same for all other .exe's except for IE.

exe's will not open

none of my applications will run!!! windows claim they dont exist.
Only IE and outlook will work. This is the same in safemode.

Has NAV got any boot disks? Try running NAV to get rid of the entry that has to be removed.

Probably best to stick with your other thread as the virus might be the cause. :) :(

NAV wont run and i have no boot disks.
Thanks

p.s sorry about double thread

From Symantec: LINK

1. Update the virus definitions.
2. Do one of the following:
Windows 95/98/Me: Restart the computer in Safe mode.
Windows NT/2000/XP: Stop the Trojan process that is running.
3. Run a full system scan, and delete all files that are detected as Backdoor.OptixPro.12.
4. Remove the value

InternalSystray %System%\kernel32.exe

from the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.

To update the virus definitions:
There are two ways to do this:
Run LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers one time each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.

Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.

To restart in Safe mode or stop the process:
Windows 95/98/Me
Restart the computer in Safe mode. All Windows 32-bit operating systems, except for Windows NT, can be restarted in Safe mode. For instructions on how to do this, read the document How to start the computer in Safe Mode.

Windows NT/2000/XP
To stop the Trojan process:
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete one time.
2. Click Task Manager.
3. Click the Processes tab.
4. Double-click the Image Name column header to sort the processes alphabetically.
5. Scroll through the list, and look for Kernel32.exe.
6. If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
7. Close the Task Manager.

To scan for and delete the infected files:
1. Start your Symantec antivirus program, and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
Symantec enterprise antivirus products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
2. Run a full system scan.
3. If any files are detected as infected with Backdoor.OptixPro.12, click Delete.

To reverse the changes that the Trojan made to the registry:

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3. Navigate to the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

4. In the right pane delete the value

InternalSystray %System%\kernel32.exe

5. Exit the Registry Editor.

Thanks but i cant do any of those things cus i cant run NAV (or any other program) and i cant get into the registry using 'regedit' is there another way to edit the registry?

I give in i am about to re-install windows. Thanks anyway

Can you do this?

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete one time.
2. Click Task Manager.
3. Click the Processes tab.
4. Double-click the Image Name column header to sort the processes alphabetically.
5. Scroll through the list, and look for Kernel32.exe.
6. If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
7. Close the Task Manager

That will stop the process and allow you to remove it.

Have you gone into safe mode & turned off the trojan? Possibly using msconfig.

Have you reinstalled?

All you needed to do was repair the exe assocaiation, a .reg file is on another post in the forum that will fix this for you!

I made it and will search for it now then post you the link!

Edit:

All the info is here:

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30279&highlight=reg

This thread will explain what happened also.

Also in comment to above threads you have removed the trojan so there is nothing to turn off but a dead startup key.

Just import the reg file and it will fix EXE handers so that the trojan is not called and you can run EXE's again!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back