avi to good quality playback on dvd player

nod32

OSNN Addict
I have a couple avi files that im planning on burning to dvd to watch on the tv. I was going to just convert them to the standard dvd format, but i read that this would result is a large decrease in quality (makes sense). It also said a better way to do this would be to burn a divx dvd and turn on somekind of deblocking filter?

What would be the best way around this? Can you point me to a guide maybe?

thanks
nod32

I have been using DVDFlick for quite awhile now and I am very happy with it.

It compresses most files very well with hardly any quality loss on it. Try it out and you will like it as well.

thanks for your reply. Ill try it out. I was also reading around and it kind of seems like the firmware of the dvd burner matters. I have some oem pioneer drive but theres nothing to download at thier site. Is it worth my while updating it?

I have never updated firmware on a dvd burner. I have also never had problems with quality or speed or anything. The only time I see updated it being useful is if the drive is very old, even then I don't know how much it would help.

nothing beats dvd flick...the easiest and best of all the converters I've tried, will even burn directly to disc if that option is chosen.

convertxtodvd is very good & simple

I think i'll just stick to dvdflick or convertxtodvd then
thanks for the responses

dvdflick is the way to go :) good stuff

Divx is only good if your DVD player supports Divx playback.

Go with dvdflick.

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I was searching for something to convert avi to DiVX so I could play them on a DVD player. DVDFlick did all that and more -amazing program that far exceeded my needs and expectations. Even better = Open Source!!

edit the fourcc to make it think its divx, xvid and divx near same anyway

Working great with .avi - can't seem to convert .mkv's though. Anyone else having this problem?

mkv is normally x264 - will need a conversion to avi/xvid, if in the unlikely event of xvid being in the mkv, do a demux or audio and video and remux into avi container

OK not really sure what that means :p

So you are saying I need to go from mk4 to avi first, then use DVDflick? Can I do that with DVDFlick (mk4 to avi conversion) or do I need something else?

Will give it a go later on today when I'm home or tomorrow - thanks. Haven't done much outside of straight DVD "archiving" before a few days ago :ninja:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back