avi to dvd

FishBoy

Feeeesh
is there a way to put avi videos on to a dvd? because i'm capturing videos using pinnacle 9.3 plus from my camera when i make an avi video it seems to be much clearer than when i make it mpeg, but when i try to put it on a dvd it has to be converted to mpeg and thus quality loss :( anyone can help

You can use NeroVison Express to put avi's on to a DVD. I've done it on numerous occasions and never suffered a loss of quality. You can actually set the bitrate and whatnot.

yeah - if you have AVI you have the prime source - there is zero need to go to MPEG inless you are squeezing onto a CD etc etc.

As toi which package you use - well that is a whole new balllgame and I am not sure I can go there right now with authority - see what you have that came bundled - play with those to understand issues - evaluate by all means (Nero does this for sure) and then maybe decide on the one (oh and it is entirely likely one is good for editting and a different one for burning BTW)

Hope that helps - if I missed point ask questions

If I hit the nail on the head then rep me! :p

vivid_vibe said:
You can use NeroVison Express to put avi's on to a DVD. I've done it on numerous occasions and never suffered a loss of quality. You can actually set the bitrate and whatnot.
oh nice i like nerovision i just downloaded it it's pretty cool... so can like do menus and transition between menus and stuff like that or just a plain single menu?
but still the dvd output comes out a bit lower quality than the original avi

Uhm, not really sure of the extent of the menu system, but it's always been suitable for what I've needed.

ok i made a svcd using image recorder and played it and it was low quality :( so i guess i could just copy the .avi to a cd and that should be it?

When you are burning a standard DVD or SVCD which you want to play in a standard DVD player then it will ALWAYS be encoded into MPEG2 format. There's no getting around it!

Now there are some DVD players that will play DIVX AVI files etc copied straight to the DVD just as you would copy any other file, but only the DVD players that support this feature will be able to play back the video.

If you are just using it on your PC just copy the file across, but I don't think that's what you are trying to do.

vivid_vibe said:
I guess I'm confused now. Are you burning to DVD or CD?
lol sorry both i guess coz i made a 3 minutes video for a friend of mine it's avi and i wanna put it on a svcd for her, and i might do a video like an hour long or so for myself and i wanna put that on a dvd maybe with menus and stuff

FishBoy said:
lol confusion hit my head you said too many things i got confused

LOL - right - so far as I remember you take the AVI format as your raw source... now loss of quality.... and have the option (so long as it is around the hour mark or less) to burn the whole lot to DVD at the same quality.

Is that clearer? Don't want to say too much in one go after your last reply! Tell me what you need to know next...

FishBoy said:
.. i wanna put it (3 mins) on a svcd for her, and i might do a video like an hour long or so for myself and i wanna put that on a dvd maybe with menus and stuff

now I see this one suggestion - do the 3 minutes as a tester and burn a test DVD of it as well as the CD... because you do NOT want to experiment with an hours worth of video, it'll chew up your time and your machines too!

ok well i guess avi couldn't be put to a dvd unless it loses quality and converts to mpeg or i could just capture the video using mpeg it would still be better than having to convert from avi... why can't we make dvds using avi :(

FishBoy said:
ok well i guess avi couldn't be put to a dvd unless it loses quality and converts to mpeg or i could just capture the video using mpeg it would still be better than having to convert from avi... why can't we make dvds using avi :(

That is what my post was saying .. If you use the dvd player suggested in the link, all you would have to do is burn the avi to a dvd then play it in that. I know several people who have that model and they all say there is no quality loss at all .. It doesn't convert it before it plays it either ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back