AVI no sound

N

Not Bman

I have a video file which was downloaded, video works fine. There is no sound.

I have tryed many players (yes VLC is my main one) no help..

Is there a program or away to see if there is any sound within the file? Like to see if they were removed or if it's another problem?

Make sure you have no codec packs installed.

Go to http://www.cccp-project.net/ and click "Insurgent" to achieve this.

run it and follow its instructions if it finds anything.

click for win2k/xp and install.

Play the file back with Media player classic or zoom player.

If you still have problems let me know :)

VLC is not the best player to use incidentally.

merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have no codec packs installed.

Go to http://www.cccp-project.net/ and click "Insurgent" to achieve this.

run it and follow its instructions if it finds anything.

click for win2k/xp and install.

Play the file back with Media player classic or zoom player.

If you still have problems let me know :)

i downloaded it, and ran it, its showing all kinds of stuff, i dont know what 2 do with it??

it just tells me to find the codecs in add/remove which none are there...and I dont understand...aoiwnoi CONFUSING

*edit, ok so I just installed the codecs anyways...and the video is working with sound in zplayer and classic, but not with VLC or anything else.....wasen't it soppose to fix it?

The program shows all the codecs/packs you have or have had you must have missed that bit :p

If you saw nothing in Add/Remove, install CCCP and reboot. If its all playing OK you're sorted.

Uninstall VLC, you don't need it, or want it. Stuff should play back in windows media player and anything else that uses directshow to play videos.

You're probably best advised to stick with classic.

Oh and just incase you try. Do not install any other codecs or codec packs unless you are going to be encoding. The only exception would be for quicktime alternative and realalternative.

Yea I'm going to keep VLC, best program most everything works great with it. This was a first...and yea thank you.

no don't keep VLC. Its not the best program. If it was i'd not have told you to uninstall it would I? :)

the best, as in trouble-free, compatibility and performance is actually mplayer, but VLC would come close if it weren't so buggy.

there's nothing wrong with VLC otherwise

as for the avi having no sound, open it in virtualdubmod, click file, then file information and post the info here. we need to know what type of audio we're dealing with here, really there should be nothing VLC cannot play but rather a screwed up mux

well it's certainly not fact ;)

mplayer and VLC share the same libs (libavcodec/ffmpeg) though mplayer is more lightweight, less buggy and plays what VLC doesn't (eg realmedia). both are independent of directshow,so they'll work regardless which/how many codecs are installed

media player classic is the best of directshow players, but in my opinion it's the best overall :)

I just don't like it when people insist on whats right/wrong.

I have been using VLC for about a year now, no problems. Everything works with it. This directshow thing is the first problem. So obvisouly its not that bad of a player, plus I know many many people who reccommend it.

Ok for the uninformed populos of OSNN and the world.

VLC is not a directshow player.

VLC uses internal codecs which are ancient as far as the windows world is concerned.

Windows users should be using DirectShow players as codecs for XP/2000 ar e directshow plugins essentially that let it decode and playback videos in various formats.

VLC does not make use of directshow plugins last time I checked.

If you have even a single brain cell in your head, when using windows use a Directshow based media player.

The solution I provided Bman supplies 2 free directshow media players, arguably the best available on the 32 bit windows platform as well as a trouble free, conflict free directshow codec dated July 2006. when used with a directshow player and if kept realtivley up to date, you should not have any problems playing back videos on windows machines.

Independant of Directshow on windows is a bad thing.

Please get a clue and save yourselves some hassle. windows is not linux. A linux mentality, and linux mentality software should not be employed with it.

Note thats not saying Opensource software on windows is bad, just opensource software that tries to force linux ways on windows is bad.

Independant of Directshow on windows is a bad thing
i must disagree. directshow can be a pain, when a person installs for example nero/nerovision he/she may not be aware it's registering 20 or so filters without you knowing. same with many editing apps, audio and video players, not to mention the huge amount of rubbish codec packs out there. having internal filters is a great thing for both windows and linux

VLC uses internal codecs which are ancient as far as the windows world is concerned
libavcodec/ffmpeg is constantly being updated and improved, majority of containers and codecs are supported. just no support for VC-1 and some other less popular formats, but they are still being worked on

i must disagree. directshow can be a pain, when a person installs for example nero/nerovision he/she may not be aware it's registering 20 or so filters without you knowing. same with many editing apps, audio and video players, not to mention the huge amount of rubbish codec packs out there. having internal filters is a great thing for both windows and linux

Please look at the wiki I linked to for the CCCP solution. They specifically state that nerovision is not an issue installed either before or after CCCP as CCCP overides it.

Internal codecs are bad things. Really. Do some research. I'm trying to do you and others a favour, why do you insist on shooing yourself in both feet and a knee and encourage others to do likewise??

libavcodec/ffmpeg is constantly being updated and improved, majority of containers and codecs are supported. just no support for VC-1 and some other less popular formats, but they are still being worked on

I believe CCCP uses libavcodec in the form of ffdshow, however the versions on VLC and Mplayer on windows are woefully outdated. I can't speak for linux versions as I use windows as my only desktop OS at home and at work. i'm sure competent linux desktop users enjoy multimedia as much as any sensible windows user.

I strongly recommend reading the wiki for CCCP and reading around at doom9 and other windows video/audio codec sites for further information. I'm certainly no expert, but I do know enough that using and recommending VLC for windows users is wrong.

At the end of the day however, you are free to run what you like. I however won't assist if I see you've willingly put yourself in a position likey to cause or increase the chances of you running in to issues with media playback.

Internal codecs are bad things. Really. Do some research

been working with digital video for almost 10 years. i'd just like to know why you believe using a player with internal filters is a bad thing, even if it is an opinion i will respect it. the only downside i can see is not being able to use certain directshow filters, particularly coreAVC which by far is more efficient than libavcodec (needs to play catch-up, coming along nicely in the past 3 months or so), and that's really the only case i'm aware of that directshow is beneficial.

reading around at doom9 and other windows video/audio codec sites

am a senior member under another nick

however the versions on VLC and Mplayer on windows are woefully outdated

VLC's "stable" releases may be outdated since only updated every few months. there are nightly builds available which are up to date. same with mplayer, daily builds.

They specifically state that nerovision is not an issue installed either before or after CCCP as CCCP overides it.

that's just the mp4 splitter. haali's splitter sets itself with a higher merit anyway IIRC. nerovision installs many more filters, and was just an example

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back