AVG versus Symantec AV 8.1

Elroy Jetson

Little Dipper School
The foced that might be are suggesting to me to change from AVG to Symantec AV 8.1. Can I have any thoughts on system resources, and compatifility with Eudora email client, please? (AVG works great...)

Thanks in advance

EJ ;)

SAV 8.1 currently seems to be using around 13MB of RAM and 16.4MB of hard drive space on my laptop (this includes realtime file protection as well as the automatic definitions update service)

As far as I can see, it supports Lotus Notes and Microsoft Exchange, in addition to file system realtime protection. Not quite sure about Eudora compatibility.

Symantec, of course, releases new definitions every weekday in the form of the Intelligent Updater (IU), so it's effective in detecting new viruses. It's a well-known fact, though, that the unpacker of Norton/Symantec isn't too great, so it fails to detect some packed viruses and worms. I know Kaspersky (which is quite resource-heavy AFAIK) can detect those, but I've never used AVG, so I don't know about that.

All-in-all, however, SAV 8.1 is a great AV, and I've been using it for quite a while now. :)

I'm moving this thread to the Security section so that you can get more feedback from some of the pros. ;)

thats odd i have norton corporate 8.1 and its using a grand total of like 3.8megs ram and not sure about hard drive space though but i just checked task manager to see the processes running.
the realtime scanning is nice too especially if you download a lot in kazaa itll pick them up before they are finished downloading in most cases.

Originally posted by john0877
thats odd i have norton corporate 8.1 and its using a grand total of like 3.8megs ram and not sure about hard drive space though but i just checked task manager to see the processes running.
the realtime scanning is nice too especially if you download a lot in kazaa itll pick them up before they are finished downloading in most cases.

What processes did you look at to get 3.8 MB?
My approximation of 13MB was looking at DefWatch.exe, Rtvscan.exe, and VPTray.exe together, all three of which are components of SAV.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back