avg performance results question

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
well, this doesn't make any sense to me

in resent tests, it seems like avg doesn't perform as well as the big boys...this has gone agianst my personal experience, in which avg has found viri that the big boys missed

now, on the most recent test, avg was just fine

BUT THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THE ENGINE.

all this involved was some definitions.

and now we find out that ag is changing the engine.

so, why?

why has it not done well in some tests, are these tests timed for when avg has not had an update?

as when it is updated, it does fine.

and if it does fine, why would they change the program to something bigger?

I'm not getting this

Its down to the test specs, alot of old DOS viruses, non windows viruses, more exotic samples will be missed by AVG, as will alot of packed and compressed viruses.

The VB100 test uses straight In the Wild samples, which are not going to be difficult to detect.

The other tests i have posted have used a huge range of virus samples that are harder to detect.

On the last test avg got its 73% in windows viruses and at the time i my comments were to say that this is the area most important to look at for AVG. Users of AVG should not expect it to protect them against packed/compressed, old or exotic viruses and trojans but for in the wild samples your gonna be OK with AVG and it should peform well.

Info on VB100 testbed:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/100procedure.xml

so, a new engine is needed enyo?

is this so they will do well on these performance tests, or to address soon to come exotic virus

I think the new engine will address issues relating to detection of packed and compressed viruses.

As you see in GAV the engine is very powerful and able to detect packed and compressed threats, the engine used by AVG is pretty weak so maybe in the 7th release of AVG we will see a more capable engine.

Im going to be putting AVG 7 RC4 on a test box at some point so maybe ill be able to see if there is a improvement with the new engine.

Need to get another HDD for my test box then shall be good to go, right now i dont have the space to install windows ;)

Damn the old technology.

Have you used AVG 7 yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back