AVG Free Now Works with Vista

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Similar to how MS released a patch to allow Symantec AV to work with Vista, they have now done the same for AVG free.

Before you go and download AVG, you must perform a Windows Update which will get you the patch needed.

Enjoy!

Nice, will check it out shortly.
Does it have a pretty icon yet ? (which is obviously the most important thing)

well I have the pro version, but last time I tried to install it said it was not for this version of windows.

Think I have Sophos6 on it at the moment, from work, but would like AVG on it more really ;)

The Article referenced "AVG Anti-Virus and AVG Plus Firewall Protection" - so I would assume that means AVG Free and the Pro version.

You may have to un-install, download the patch, and then re-install though.

A year with etrust for free , after a year like anything you will upgrade even your AVG after a year your going to upgrade to the newer version so the point is moot.

The point isn't moot, the upgrade for AVG will still be free.

Hey I thought people might like to know you can get a very good Anti Virus free for a year .. seeing as how Vista is not yet realsed your free Anti Virus is going to be no good to your current install in less than a year so yes the free forever point is moot. No one will be using this version of Vista in 6 monthes and Etrust is a much better solution sorry but AVG is not the best free solution as it stands there are better solutions ... and ETRUST for a year free is a better solution.

You could have just said thanks cool we have a 2nd choice , you choose to boost about free for life when it is not needed for 6 months.

Not meaning to hijack but I installed the Etrust and it dont need no patches and whatnots it installs and runs flawless ...

and I am sorry but AVG?

The Final Scores
If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66.

No thanks there are better free choices that protect my files and thats important to everyone its not about one its about knowing other things are available

Last edited:
Hey I thought people might like to know you can get a very good Anti Virus free for a year .. seeing as how Vista is not yet realsed your free Anti Virus is going to be no good to your current install in less than a year so yes the free forever point is moot. No one will be using this version of Vista in 6 monthes and Etrust is a much better solution sorry but AVG is not the best free solution as it stands there are better solutions ... and ETRUST for a year free is a better solution.

You could have just said thanks cool we have a 2nd choice , you choose to boost about free for life when it is not needed for 6 months.
I apologize, and you make a good point. I wasn't looking at it from that perspective.

So, as you mentioned, I'll say what I should have said....

Thanks, good to have a 2nd choice ;)

No hard feelings and your welcome , I was pleasently suprised to find that CA offered this, years ago when Win98 was all a rage CA used to give free edtions all the time like Avast and AVG do now but that ended after a while, I guess they got enough people hooked and moved on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back