AVG Antivirus Problem

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
From my other thread (http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=78869) I have determined its a virus. I decided to remove NAV 2003 and switch to AVG AntiVirus but when I restart I get a stop error that has to do with a buffer overrun by a driver.

When I select Last Known Good Config the system boots fine but AVH cannot load the realtime scanner.

I have determined its AVG messing up.

While I was updating my friend's antivirus I decided to do my laptop and desktop BUT they both had the same stop error and the same solution worked to allow them to boot.

I have switched to Avast AntiVirus which has no problem. I would prefer to use AVG but I cannot find a solution, I was hoping someone here would.

That is really weird. Awhile ago I switched from Norton to AVG, which I find AVG much better and cleaner. Works great, no problems. This is the first I have heard of a problem like this.

Are you sure you got all of NAV off the machines? I hated Norton because it (or it's remnants) interfered with too many other app's.

Only annoyance I have with AVG is if you open Outlook before AVG has finished loading and updating it shutd down the mail sacn and pops up an error message. HAs not been a probelm on the other 2 computers where I use Eudora. I finally stopped Outlook from loading at power up as a fix.

As LeeJend mentioned, NAV especially 2003 leaves behind tons of traces in the registery. this could be the problem with AVG could be..not sure?? but try to make sure NAV is truly gone from the system.

NAV uses a BHO program called NavShExt.dll. Sometimes a Registery cleaner will have to do to clear out these pesky traces in the registery. Also the NavShExt.dll can be found by using hijackthis, run a scan and find all if any remaining traces and delete them.

from further research many users trying to uninstall NAV2003 had to find this hidden file> "Settings.LiveUpdate" Follow this path to delete this file> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Heck...try ccleaner to clean out any left overs.

I so hate norton now. Man there was ALOT of CRAP left behind.

I cleaned out my registry and del all files/folders with symantec in them and AVG loads with no BSOD.

Did my method on the second computer and it works. Havent done my friend's laptop since he had to go home since he works tomorrow.

Glad to see you got it to work. I realized this a long time ago. Norton has a tendency to not play nice. When you realize it is a resource hog and useless POS, and finally decide to uninstall it, you find out it's like the in-laws. Comes to visit, but, refuses to leave. You do everything you can to get rid of them, but you can't. Eventually having to flush your home out, or reformatting your pc to get rid of it.

You will also notice that the norton cleaner don't get all the things either. You can do a manual search threw your registry and see what it didn't get .. Man I hate norton ...

Johnny said:
Glad to see you got it to work. I realized this a long time ago. Norton has a tendency to not play nice. When you realize it is a resource hog and useless POS, and finally decide to uninstall it, you find out it's like the in-laws. Comes to visit, but, refuses to leave. You do everything you can to get rid of them, but you can't. Eventually having to flush your home out, or reformatting your pc to get rid of it.

You will also notice that the norton cleaner don't get all the things either. You can do a manual search threw your registry and see what it didn't get .. Man I hate norton ...

I did use that cleaner app they got and it claims all was removes. Bull****! This is proof it didnt.

In case anyone was wondering of the stop error it was:

Stop: 0x000000F7

"a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer"

Glad ya fix the prob Admiral. I was also gonna say the Norton leave a ton of leftovers in the wake of uninstalling it. Had the same prob a while back on one of my daughter's computers.

Oh, by the way. Did ya kill that virus yet?

Ya Norton's uninstall as well as there so called remover app are terrible.

And I think I did remove it. We scanned twice with avast antivirus and the first caught some files, the second said the system was clean. So I'm hoping.

He needs to send in his laptop to get the cdrom repaired so we might just format before and after.

BTW, I upgraded NAV to AVG on my sister's computer and it caught a few virus's that Norton missed. Glad I switched now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back