AVG and Mozilla Thunderbird

tom9042

OSNN Senior Addict
My Norton Antivirus subsription is up in two days. I've downloaded AVG based upon discussions in this forum. However, I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. I want to be sure that I am reading it correctly, AVG does not support a non Microsoft email program? I guess this means that I'll have to go back to Norton.

By the way, thanks to all you regular posters. I really enjoy and learn from your postings. I hope to have something to add some day.

Elroy Jetson

Little Dipper School
AVG has no plugin for Thunderbird, but for Eudora, etc. However, as AVG scans every file that is written to your hdd, even if you don't have a plugin running, it is going to pick up an infected file being written to your drive by the email program. Maske sure you enable heuristics when installing the program.

I now use Symantec AV Corporate Edition after years of AVG, and it, too, has no plugin for my email program. Picks up all the nasty Netsky's, though, through realtime file scanning.

Enjoy AVG, it is a great program.

Elroy.

Voodoo

OSNN Junior Addict
Elroy Jetson said:
I now use Symantec AV Corporate Edition after years of AVG, and it, too, has no plugin for my email program. Picks up all the nasty Netsky's, though, through realtime file scanning.

Enjoy AVG, it is a great program.

Elroy.
Totally agree, AVG is a very capable AV scanner. I use the free version on my second PC. :)

tom9042

OSNN Senior Addict
Thanks for the responses. I'll stay with my new AVG and double check that I've enabled heuristics.

Thanks again!

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
You can configue AVG to scan incoming/outgoing email with Thunderbird. Use the email configure wizard, but instead of selecting one of the email clients listed, read below "If your email client is not listed here..." and follow the directions there. Basically, you are config'ing AVG to scan anything coming through the localhost/127.0.0.1, doesn't matter which client you use.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesjacob