AVG 8 is not letting me in to a site.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I am wondering if I can add a site to the AVG link scanner, because I have to disable it completely to view a site that I know is not a problem.

As well,

Anyone would have any recommendations for free antivirus.

Thanks,

Heeter

Ever since AVG free went to 8.0 I had nothing but issues. First off it gives nothing but false positives if you use Spybot S & D along with Spywareblaster when you block rouge activeX, AVG calls it out as trojans. I do not like the webpage link scanner, it slows down your page loading. ...anyway.....

I switched to Avira AntiVir Personal

1. its definitions are always updated
  2. it has a solid detection rate
  3. uses low resources
  4. fast scanning
the free version does not have a email scanner like avg does.
but I like it better then Avast

and the moral of the storey is you get what you pay for :p - i moved from avg pro to eset as i got fed up with all the false positives it was giving me, he has the option to fall back to 7.5 free

Ever since AVG free went to 8.0 I had nothing but issues. First off it gives nothing but false positives if you use Spybot S & D along with Spywareblaster when you block rouge activeX, AVG calls it out as trojans. I do not like the webpage link scanner, it slows down your page loading. ...anyway.....

3. uses low resources
  4. fast scanning
Interesting - I'll have to check that program out. AVG 8.x is a bit buggy I would agree.

Thanks Guys,

I am moving to Avira

I still don't know why AVG is starting to become bloatware like Nero and Nortons. All I need is an antivirus, that's it.

Thanks,

Heeter

one thing about Avira Anti-Virus is that the free version, after a daily update, a pop up (nag) screen appears and it can get a bit annoying. but alas there is a way to block it. just follow the steps relating to the version of windows you use and you will be in business. w00t! NOTE: these changes do not affect the performance or degrade the softwares ability at all :)

Disable the nag screen
Windows 2000:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
  3. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System.
  4. In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications.
  5. Click Enabled, and then click Show.
  6. Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program that you want to restrict users from running. (For example, type avnotify.exe)
  7. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
  8. Quit Group Policy Object Editor.
  9. Restart the computer.
Windows XP Home and Pro:

1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
  2. Log in using the Administrator account
  3. Go to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
  4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
  5. Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user….
  6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
  7. Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
  8. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)
Windows XP Pro & Vista Business/Ultimate

1. Start-> Control Panel
  2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
  3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
  4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
  5. Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\ and double-click avnotify.exe-> set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok
Windows Vista Home Premium

1. Go to C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
  2. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security->
  3. Under the group or username SYSTEM click edit
  4. Put a checkmark under the DENY column for "read and execute"

Disable the splash screen
(All OS'es)
Make this registry change adding the /nosplash to the end:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"avgnt"="C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe\" /min /nosplash

You can choose not to install the crapware part of AVG 8.

I am not having any problems with it. I have it on 3 computers. Two have the crapware turned on the third doesn't.

3. uses low resources
  4. fast scanning
Are you by any chance running XP with SP3 on the machine(s) riddled with false positives? This article mentions possible causes, as well as mentions some of the programs you have listed -

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080522/

I was using XP with SP3 and a pc with SP2 and a third with Vista. According to many Grisoft tell you to uninstall the "other" software. meaning to use theirs and screw the others.

(from the grisoft site)
An "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key is a result of the "Immunize" function included in some anti-spyware programs (e.g.: "Spybot search & destroy", "Spyware blaster",...)
To assure protection provided by AVG against these threats, it is not possible to remove such signatures from AVG virus bases.
Because of this, "Immunize" function included in above mentioned softwares is NOT compatible with AVG products.

and this

it would be fixed in the next major update.

Until they clean up their act, i will use Avira. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back