AVG 7 Free Released

Enyo

OSNN Veteran Addict
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

AVG Free Edition is the well-known anti-virus protection tool. AVG Free is available free-of-charge to home users for the life of the product! Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high-level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy-to-use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements).

Nice, I was just checking the site yesterday as well. Good find :)

very cool, except I feel cheated [sorta] out of buying the AVG 7 Pro edition, this makes the free edition almost the same.

^^ HAHAHAHAHA

JK :D

Gonna update.

well, I have it installed...I'm sort of used to the old interface...this one will take some time before I'm comfortable.

Seriously the only difference I can see so far is the M$ outlook plugin is not installed on the free edition.

do I need to configure this version to recognize specific email clients, or does it recognize the client automatically?

perris said:
well, I have it installed...I'm sort of used to the old interface...this one will take some time before I'm comfortable.
Yeah,I liked the other one better,this one looks like it's an outdated program :eek: :D

perris said:
do I need to configure this version to recognize specific email clients, or does it recognize the client automatically?

You have to do this, for example if your pop3 server is mail.example.com and your smtp server is smtp.example.com, you have to set up AVG as a mail proxy.

In AVG, under the Email Scanner, click Properties, then under Personal E-Mail Scanner, hit properties, go to the server tab. Click ADD, "Server Type" choose POP3, under connection, click "Fixed host", and enter in you pop3 server, e.g. mail.example.com, then set the local port to 5200. Now do the same thing for your SMTP server, but choose that as the server type, then under connection, under Fixed host, enter in the smtp server, e.g. smtp.example.com, set the local port to 5100.

In you mail client, you then need to set your POP3 server to 127.0.0.1 and set the port to 5200, same thing for the smtp server, set it to 127.0.0.1 and the port to 5100.

Now make sure you have AVG set to tag the messages so you know its working, in the Email Scanner properties, click on Configure, make sure that under "Email Scanning" you have both Check Incoming/Outgoing Mail and Certify Mail checked.

You should see on the bottom of you outgoing mail:

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 7.0.280 / Virus Database: 265.0.0 - Release Date: 11/8/2004

and on you incoming mail:

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 7.0.280 / Virus Database: 265.0.0 - Release Date: 11/8/2004

Thats it.

dammnit, wont work on my windows 2003 workstation :p

Looks like either AVG or Kasperksy is going tog et a lot of money from me one day....

j79zlr said:
You have to do this, for example if your pop3 server is mail.example.com and your smtp server is smtp.example.com, you have to set up AVG as a mail proxy.
I asked Grisoft and they said setup detects what client is "default" on your system during install then installs the appropriate plugin so why you have to do this is beyond me.
I installed AVG on a system with OE and one with Eudora.
Both times setup detected then installed the right plugin with no interaction from me.

yup...I just sent mail and the new avg recognized the mail client...however, this could be because it was allready configured to recognize outlook

I'll see what happens when I put avg on a customers box that hasn't had it installed yet

I'll tell you what...it seems much more responsive, and I don't notice any differance in memory useage...but the interface just pops up without paging in

cool

Thunderbird is not detected, so that is why I set it up that way, it will work for any mail client. BTW IE is not a mail client.

American Zombie said:
I asked Grisoft and they said setup detects what client is "default" on your system during install then installs the appropriate plugin so why you have to do this is beyond me.
I installed AVG on a system with IE and one with Eudora.
Both times setup detected then installed the right plugin with no interaction from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back