avalon public download

demo

don't install untill the download till we find out more, I think we need a beta of net fraqmework 2.0..so why is it a public download?

Want a taste of the next-generation Windows presentation technology?

"Avalon" is the code name for Microsoft's unified presentation subsystem for Windows. It consists of a display engine and a managed-code framework. "Avalon" unifies how Windows creates, displays, and manipulates documents, media, and user interface. This enables developers and designers to create visually-stunning, differentiated user experiences that improve customer connection. When it ships, scheduled for 2006, "Avalon" will be available on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and all future releases of the Windows operating system. When delivered, "Avalon" will become Microsoft's strategic user interface (UI) technology.

A preview is now available for you to download. If I see feedback on the technology posted on this thread, I will get someone from that product team to read your postings. Please feel free to post this on your community site.

Here is what MS told me a few days ago. Note the last bit and feel free to ask anything that I can pass along.

Well, if you installed WindowsXP on VirtualPC 2004 and then installed Avalon on top of that, I see no reason why not :)

yah.. i was unclear about that. maybe i will try. I got nothing else to do this weekend.

If I see feedback on the technology posted on this thread, I will get someone from that product team to read your postings. Please feel free to post this on your community site.

wow, we have to get some ms peeps down here...X A LENT!!!

ok ep, I started a sticky...be nice if you kick it off with your experience, how to get started, etc

I'll try it tonight if I can figure out what to do, I'm at work right now

Bear in mind that this is a set of APIs for developers...not to be confused with Aero.
Basically, this will allow you to write your own applications using Avalon. You will need a copy of the Whidbey (VS .NET 2005) beta if you're a MSDN subscriber. If not, there is a set of free "Express" IDE's available for various languages (C++, C#, VB.NET etc).

I actually do have it installed and tried some of the code samples available online. It's fun. :)

I should have mentioned a couple of places where you can find out more:

http://blogs.msdn.com/danlehen
http://www.simplegeek.com/

Dan Lehenbauer (the first blog) is the person from the Channel9 video who works on the 3D aspect of Avalon. Chris Anderson (second blog) is also on the Avalon team. Both blogs are great sources of info, and you can find links to some code samples that you can download, compile and run. :)

I did interview with the Avalon team in Redmond two weeks ago =)

thanx net, this isn't what I thought it was, gonna take down the support thread

Yeah, it did cause some amount of confusion around the web. ;)
It might still be worthwhile downloading the Avalon CTP, even if you aren't interested in development. It does allow you to run Avalon applications created by other people. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back