AV+Firewall for Vista32?

one.123

-0-;;
Im currently "trying" to use bitdefender...but it seems to be having problems with vista, lots of CPU usage and random crashes, ive read around and it seems im not the only one having problems with bd and vista, can anyone recommend a good av w/ or another program for a firewall? thanks in advance

I am currently using AVG (free) with Vista Home Premium and the windows firewall - I have not tried it yet, but I heard ZA free also worked with Vista!

Eset (nod32) have a suite in beta - ESS
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Agnitum (outpost) have a suite in beta - Outpost security suite 2008
http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21033

both are public
ESS doesnt expire, great antivirus (nod32 v3.0 engine) firewall is very basic, but if you have common sense, and dont require application anti leak control, is a great light simple firewall.

Agnitums is a much better firewall and anti leak combination (for people who dont have any clue what they are installing/clicking on on the web) but the antivirus isnt so great. oh and theyre beta also expires after 30days.. so useless..

comodo v3.0 is also in beta, and again one of those firewalls for idiots who need a firewall to control what and how theyre applications do. and people who want a pop up on theyre screen for every action you do.

if you are behind a router, and a safe surfer who uses common sense on the internet, a firewall isnt so important (unless you want to control outbound application control) windows firewall & a router will stop dead most things inbound (unless your pc is infected or set as DMZ)
if you just use a standard USB modem, i wouldnt trust windows firewall alone.

if your a beginner or someone who is click happy/installing every free program availiable on the web, then something like comodo 3.0 beta & nod32 antivirus would be the best solution.

I have several home clients and family members setup using OneCare. Regardless of the bad rap that the product got earlier this summer I have never had a client call me with any issues relating to a virus and/or malware. It is a full featured product that includes backup/restore, protection, and automated defrag/disk cleanup. One license also covers up to three computers.

Version 2.0 will bring even more to the table including centralized management and 64-bit support.

I am a beta tester for the product but I no longer use it in my own production environment (I switched to Symantec Antivirus Enterprise).

you know symantec is worse than most other products on the market?

I have several home clients and family members setup using OneCare. Regardless of the bad rap that the product got earlier this summer I have never had a client call me with any issues relating to a virus and/or malware. It is a full featured product that includes backup/restore, protection, and automated defrag/disk cleanup. One license also covers up to three computers.

Version 2.0 will bring even more to the table including centralized management and 64-bit support.

I am a beta tester for the product but I no longer use it in my own production environment (I switched to Symantec Antivirus Enterprise).
Is it me or does the WOC beta 2.0 take longer to startup than previous versions?

The beta loads just as fast on Virtual PC/Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows Vista Business RTM as it did with WOC 1.5/1.6.

i've been using onecare for about 4 weeks and no problems at all ,got it for £27 in pc world on special offer .:)

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0
Commodo Firewall

I believe bitdefender (my AV of choice) is now compatible with Vista.

I don't use an antivirus, and zone alarm free does work well with vista.

with vista I am using windows defender ad Zone Alarm free, I have no issues. I am a believer that you don't need an ativirus. As the best antivirus is you. Why do I think that? Well, out of fifiteen years of playing with computers I have never; let me repeat that: I HAVE NEVER had a virus. I have however had mabe two trojans, but they were nothing to sneeze at.

When it comes to viruses it is all based on what emails you open; what web sites you visit; what java script pop ups you open and what web browser you are using.

Usually when people ask me to install an anitivirus, or suggest an anitvirus on the pc that I repair, I tell them to get AVG free. It works pretty well.

I use Sophos 7 for AV here.
Going to get Outpost once it leaves beta as it rocked.

Is it me or does the WOC beta 2.0 take longer to startup than previous versions?

it does...I didn't have better results with the WOC 2.0 beta compared to the 1.5. It felt very intrusive and seemed to not play nice with my windows media center (transcode 360) and my xbox360.

I would suggest trying the new Eset AV + AS beta. Seems to be running very well on my system.

If I wasn't married I wouldn't even have an AV installed :)

i'm disregarding all the folks that say you dont need AVs. I got a trojan in my browser cache just by surfing. It might have been an accidental click or some stupid thing which took me to a malicious site where it got installed, but nevertheless I am fully aware of what to avoid and not to open and something still hit me.

So whats the latest info on best free antivirus and Firewall softwares for Vista? thinking about trying out ESET although i'm sorely tempted to buy k7

Kaspersky Internet Security,
NOD32 + Commodo Firewall,
Onecare.

I am starting to think one of us should just put this information in our sigs, I believe this question has been answered at least 10 times in the last week

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back