autorun CD in XP?

electrolite

OSNN Newbie
The "autorun" function of my CD drive seems to be disabled... when I put a CD in, nothing happens. How do you re-enable this?

1) Click Start>Run>GPEDIT.MSC
2) Go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System.
3) "Turn autoplay off" is the setting you want to change.

For XP Home (which does not include gpedit.msc), follow these instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330135

Hope that helps. :)

right click on the drive in explorer, select properties, go to the autoplay tab

Khayman said:
right click on the drive in explorer, select properties, go to the autoplay tab

"Select a content type, then choose an action for windows to perform automatically when that type is used for this devise" currently mine says Music files but it also has options for pictures, video files, mixed content, music CD, and DVD movie. What should it be on so when you place media in the drive it will autoplay, autorun in any format. I'm having this same problem on my daughters PC and I tried the edit in the registry setting "My computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom\Auto" and changed the value data to 1" and this didn't work. This one does look promising. Any possibility this could happen "if" the primary and secondary IDE cables get switched around after installing hardware on CD/DVD drives and hard drive. Wouldn't they then be switched around in the BIOS settings.
:confused:

Tried all the above and still not starting up after putting CD in drive. When I click on the CD-RW drive Icon it starts right up. ?

If you have not done so try changing each entry in drop down box of autoplay tab to default (click restore defaults).
Each one has it's own entry and the one you need may be set to "take no action".

Check your Services and make sure Shell Hardware Detection is set to Automatic.

There was some registry entry where you had to change some value, but I imagine the above suggestions will cover that!

(I think the Tweak-XP application broke mine, evil!)

I say stick a weasel in it, see what happens

Maybe something like this ?

wheel.jpg

I'll give a a go Khayman and see what happens. :)

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'll try a couple of these suggestions and report back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back