Automated update problem A solution!

X

xflower

I've found a solution that works wonders!

I guess its an experienced users tip but here it comes (cut and paste from someone called Carey at the ms newsgroup)

Add the following to your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file:

207.46.106.80 www.download.windowsupdate.com

Note: Your Windows installation maybe located on a drive other than C: , so adjust
accordingly. Open the "hosts" file with NotePad.

Additional Note: You must enable hidden system files. Open up your Control Panel and
double-click on Folder Options, then click on the "View" tab, then place a checkmark next
to "Show Hidden
Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and "Hide Protected
Operating System Files", then click on "Apply".

Additional Techniques:

Delete all your Temporary Internet Files.

It's possible the Windows Update ActiveX Control is corrupt. Open IE
Properties > Temporary Internet Files settings > View Objects and delete
"Update Class". When visiting the Windows Update site, a new ActiveX
control for Windows Update will automatically install.

Run Windows Update again and only select and install one update at a time. I know this is
tedious, but you will get a better success rate.

Now windows finds a working IP before it tries to resolve it in your ISP DNS.

Good luck! (It worked for me and it nearly better then s** :)

seems to work, don't know which bit because i did both. but thanks.

Not that i wanted anything from the site, i just wanted it to work :)

doesn't work here, I already tried different host configurations with different IPs. I suspect more&more a DNS problem with microsoft.

for your information:i can't even ping that IP address. Keeps timing out. I'm from belgium, maybe it only works in the US.

no, my ping timeout to, but i could dl from the site. so maybe it was the other thing that worked?

You cant ping any of the microsoft servers it seems. Probably a sequrity manager with a bit of paranoia (like they all have :p)

If you have problems with this URL:
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/EULA/en/eula.htm

Then the solution is to add the line in the hosts file. Just remember that this is a QUICKFIX. If microsoft updates their IP-range (unlikely) or just move the download stuff to another server, then this wont work any more. And they will probably sort out the DNS problem next week so you realy should remove the line from the hosts file as soon everything is working again.

as much as I'd love to have it working, the host-thing does NOT solve my problem :(

hey,

im currently in the process of downloading all of the Windows XP Home / Pro updates and im going to upload to my own webspace, if you can wait a couple of days ill tell you the URL...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back