Auto turn off when shuting down

Swi

gningnegneur
When i shut my computer down with either the power off button on my keyboard or by Start->Shut Down, it closes everything and then turns off the computer. Perfect. But when i use the shortcut "shutdown -t 0", it closes everything but stall on "It's now safe to turn off your computer" instead of turning it off automatically.
In the mean time, a friend installed XP on his computer and since then, the computer never automaticaly turn off when he shuts it down as it was doing before installing XP.

So is there an option somewhere to make it turn off automatically?

Thx!

Yes and not .. Play with POWER OPTIONS

depends also the ATX case

For your friend do what Cosmin said & look at the power options. I'm not sure where they are.

As for your shutdown shortcut there is nothing you can do. That is how they work.

There are third party shutdown applications available, which powerdown the computer. I use one that works great, can't however find at the moment where I've got it from.
But just half an hour ago I discovered this tip. The computer will automatically turn off if you make the shortcut to:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tsshutdn.exe 0 /DELAY:0 /POWERDOWN
Seems to work, but I tried it only once.

I tried that one also, yoyo..for no reason but to see if it worked, I just use the pwoer stich myself

at anyrate, that button worked perfectly on my box...i suspect that shortcut will become one of the most popular shortcuts around...great job

Thanks, but not my invention..since this forum wasn't accessible tonight I looked around somewhere else and found it.
Did not even know that this tsshutdn.exe exists... Just wondering if there is anybody who really knows everything there in system32 and what it is good for...

That tweak worked for me but it was too slow in closing down. It then affected my ususal shutdown/reboot method for two or three reboots.

i got this error message and it doesn't work...
System shutdown in progress ...System shutdown failed, Error code=1702.
Error [1702]:The binding handle is invalid.

So i'm the one who asked for this and i'm the only one where it doesn't work?!?! it's not fair!!

I would first try to find the settings in your power options, so the power switch will turn off the box...I would also use those settings to set a button on your keyboard to be a power buttton.

If none of this works, I would look up thayt error code.

For anyone eIse that wants this shortcut, I would make the delay 3 seconds, so you can give yourself an optout

Swi...so you have company, I've seen other people get the same error as you

my keyboard button just work find, it's only the shortcut that does not work... But for my friend, we checked his power option and there's nothing we can change to make it turn off either by the shortcut or by the star menu

swi...first try this;

Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, and click the Device Manager tab. Double-click the System Devices branch to expand it. Double-click Advanced Power Management Support in the device list. Click the Settings tab. Click the Enable Power Management check box to clear it. Click OK until you return to Control Panel.

as a final try, load this free shut down program for xp.

I'm wondering if this program will work either, since the program uses a command line...we'll find out...try thos power options again first

SWI - I'm not sure if you're the same person who posted this question on another site, so I'll answer again just in case you aren't.

Using the shudown shortcut there does not seem to be any efficient method of having the computer power down without user intervention. I've seen alternate "target syntax" posted (as above), but none of them seem to be an acceptable solution for most users. Personally, I like the fact that the system reminds me to turn off the power at my surge suppressor power center.

microsoft recomends this shutdown shortcut over the menue shutdown for servers...mostly because the shutdown provides a warning for users to save their work.

Hipster...I've timed my shutdown against this shortcut, etween conventional shutdown and this one...might have been a one time thing...at any rate, here and here are the ms white white papers.

if any of you want to try this shutdown, it has the ms stamp of approval...give yourself a delay, this way you get the confirmation that's pretty handy to some of you.

me, if you can do it through power management, and the power button, that's the most convienient.

ok, swi...gonna try to sort this out;

when does this error occur;

on a a black screen?...maybe a reboot attempt, . It could alos be a hardware issue

On old systems, 1702 was used as a timeout error code for hardware...not anymore though, but some hardware might referance this it also coulld be a sorting error, which doesn't make much sense either.

I'm going to ask someone else for some info, to try to find some commonalilty...it doesn't look like this can be resolved by me though...I'm involving a coupla people to sort it out...but not likely.

in any event, let me now what screen the message appears, at what time in the process, and anything else that might be relevant in your opinion...thanx

first, dealer: there's no Advanced Power Management Support on my system device list, must depends of the motherboard model...

also, i've included an atttachment of the error message. it happens when i simply type the command C:\WINDOWS\system32\tsshutdn.exe 0 /DELAY:0 /POWERDOWN
i also tried with a 3 seconds delay but it's the same.
This error does not causes no other problem to my computer.

I gonna read those white paper a bit later in the week cause now it's my girlfriend's birthday and i don't wanna stay in front of the computer all day :p

By the way, your little shutdown app work just fine! so it settles it up for me :) I,'l check my friend's computer(that never turn off automaticaly) later this week so i'll try to apply all your advices

allan, no i hadn't post this question elsewhere thx for replying. What i like is using the power button of my computer only for opening it and not closing it, as long as it takes maybe 30 seconds to close all programs and save all personal settings i don't want to stay in front of my screen waiting for the "It's now safe..." message.

Thanks again all!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back