audio video help

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
my dad just bought a new receiver and the volume is very weak. it's a denon avr-684. i have no idea how to fix it. all i know is that when we have the volume at -20 it finally starts to get loud. he has the same speakers he used on his old system which used to crank (an old technics). does anyone have any ideas or links to good a/v forums?

Have you by chance hooked the receiver up to a different pair of speakers? How old are the older speakers? I'm asking because it could be an impedance issue. I work in A/V installation, and there are a couple of guys I work with that could probably get me an answer to your problem. I'll check with them tomorrow and get back to you. If you can, let me know the answers to what I asked you so that I'll have that info as well.

Sometimes just twisting the connections around or pulling it out a fraction get them working.

he doesn't have any other speakers and the speakers are about 12yrs old at least. they are hooked up correctly too.

check the impedance of your speakers, and check the outbound connects of the receiver, you should be able to change the impedance setting of the denon. also make sure your runs are using 12 gauge wire...this will make a big difference in sound

The impedance is what I'm concerned about. I'm sorry separatist, but I forgot to ask about your problem today... I'll try and remember tomorrow. Also, if it's a new receiver, you should be able to get support from Denon on the issue. You might check your documentation for a phone number and give them a call if you haven't done so yet.

thanks, i will check the wires and impedance and if that doesn't work, i will call denon.

thanks for the help.

The reciever should operate at 4ohms and the speakers are probably between 4 and 16, which should not create that much of a problem. I guessing it has more to do with digital fx or eq issues, basically a config issue.

i can't seem to work it out. i've tried adjusting all the settings and nothing is making a difference.

I was told that merely the fact that they are older speaker could be the main issue. It would be best if you could get a hold of some newer "test" speakers that would enable you to check if the problem is on the speaker end or the receiver end. If you don't have speakers in another room, then borrow some or something.

It should have nothing to do with older speakers. Some of the best speakers ever made were 50-70's. The only thing I could imagine is if there is some kind of short in the speakers or crossovers. Grab a digital multimeter and check the impedence across the positive and negative connections on the speaker.

An amp will actually power most average impedences between 4 and 16 fine. People think amps only operate at one impedence, but this is incorrect, the specs are just measured with that load (usually 4 ohm).

Just out of curiosity, what are you using for source on the Reciever?

source? i was using the FM antenna, cd player and dvd player. they all were very soft. i told him to get some new speaker wire. maybe that will help.

dreamliner77 said:
It should have nothing to do with older speakers. Some of the best speakers ever made were 50-70's.

I'm just relaying what I was told by an a/v installer. He gave a reason or two to support the claim, but I honestly don't remember the details.

I think it's an internal setting in the reciever. btw, I haven't checked the spec's on the receiver, what is the rated output at 4 ohm?

i have no idea about the receiver. it's my dad's and at his house. this is what i found on it:
AVR-684
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS ES 6.1 A/V Receiver • Dolby Digital, including Surround Ex decoding • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS ES Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Analog Devices Melody 32-bit Fixed Point DSP processor • 6 Channels equal power amplifier section • 75 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.08%THD) • 110 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) • Banana Plug Speaker Connections all channels (Except Speaker B) • Subwoofer Pre-out, with Variable Hi/Low-pass Cross-over points(80/100/120/150Hz) • Front left and right bass and treble control • 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • 2 sets component video inputs(30MHz), compatible with progressive DVD, DTV • 4 sets composite with 3 "S" video inputs • 5.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) • 5/6 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • 4 assignable digital inputs (3 Optical, 1 Coaxial) • Optical digital output • Front Panel A/V Inputs, with Optical Digital • Front Panel Speaker A/B Selector • 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • Remote I/O Ports • Glow-Key pre-programmed remote features codes from other manufacturers; Glow in the dark main function keys • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.8"h x 16.4"d

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=58#PID719

Some recievers are just like that. They seem to waste 3/4 of the volume mesurement, but get exponetionally(sp?) louder afterwards. Newer Yamaha's and most Harman Kardon's do this too.

perhaps there is some multiroom setting or speaker a/b switch on the unit that is enabled? This would seriously decrease power.

Also, volume control should be logorithmic and not linear.

Also, look for any preamp or pre-gain controls.

It is true that different receivers start getting really loud at different points. I've experienced this first-hand in working with many different brands of receivers.

I know that in surround mode you can set the sensitivity of the loudness, but I don't know for sure in normal stereo mode. It's worth looking at, though.

i have all the settings set for 2 speakers and regular stereo. it just doesn't crank.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back