audio ripping

NetRyder said:
Pfft...lossy -> lossy = very lossy. Bad idea. :)
With that logic, you should be able to play any music on any device. Just transcode to a format that the device supports.
Thats why you stay away from formats that don't work w/ your player in the 1st place. :rolleyes:

That's why I love my Nomad Zen Xtra, it supports MP3 and WMA and WAV. So I just need to worry about quality, not size or type :)

i just rip using cdex at 192kbps thats good enough for me, and sounds crisp when i was new to the game, i used to do it at 96kbps even though u can slightly hear the quality loss, i am still mad at myself i ripped them at 96 but its ok (that was about 5 years ago)

muzikool said:
You can go the MP3 route, but you're not going to get as high of quality since it's not lossless compression. If you simply want MP3's though, just use EAC, iTunes or WMP 10 to rip to MP3 at a 256kbps bit rate.

What do you mean by quality? An Mp3 encoded with LAME wth the standard or extreme settings is indistinguishable from the source. It's obviously compressed, but the sound itself will match that of the CD.

Especially when ripped with EAC in Secure Mode with VBR on the Encoding.

If you wanted to test it out you could do a blind listening test on a high end system.

Xie said:
Thats why you stay away from formats that don't work w/ your player in the 1st place. :rolleyes:
I agree. Just saying that claiming an iPod can play WMA's because iTunes transcodes them beforehand is silly.

Luna said:
What do you mean by quality? An Mp3 encoded with LAME wth the standard or extreme settings is indistinguishable from the source. It's obviously compressed, but the sound itself will match that of the CD.

Especially when ripped with EAC in Secure Mode with VBR on the Encoding.

If you wanted to test it out you could do a blind listening test on a high end system.

Luna, I'm starting to like you already ;)

it's all good i guess i'll just go with windows media player 192kbps or 256kbps

well i dont know i got all these replies about compressing dont compress yes compress, this is madness i dont understand naything anymore aaaaaaa ok

It's simple. When you compress a cd, the bes thing to do is compresstowhat ever works for you. Just make sure it is sompatible withyourportable player. Everyone has an opinion of what is the best.Actualfacts are that mp3 with -- preset using lame, and not normalisingthecd is the best.

But that is also an opinion, it is a good opinion. The reason why mp3isthe one of choice is because it is the most popular one. WMA isfairlynew, Ogg is fairly new, and lossless is fairly new (I think).Anyway, Ibeen ripping cd's for about 4 years now, I used them all.Programsranging from real jukebox to zlurp!. EAC is in my personalopinion asthe best, mostly because you will get a better rip in securemode asapposed to burst mode, which is what a lot of the programs use.

The only thing about EAC that I do not like, is that at timesthetagging sux .. Other than that is a great ripper. OF course otherslikeCdex, Easy cd-da Extractor (they say it has secure mode, I can notconfirm this because this is one of the ones I never used), and Pleaxtools are very good to use also.

If you would like to know some more on the right way to ripp, visit this page: http://www.ubernet.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Files&file=uberstandard

As a side note, I wish lame would figure a way to make mp3's gapless !!

k im bumping this for an on topic reason, im ripping some cds now, and some of them are various artists (soundtracks etc) and i dont want to have to edit every song filename and id3 tag cdex and eac dont let u do it from the begining, i remember music match use to, but i dont want that is there any other ripper that supports multi artist cds?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back