Audio Problems

bandmaster

Olympic Trombonist
Please can anyone suggest how I can fix this problem? The error message appears when I try to play an mp3. It might be related to the problems that I have had recently with the Mostrar Dialer, as Windows Media Player 9 behaved OK before that.

Error message
'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.'

More information
'0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
*Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
*Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
*You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.'

I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm also running Creative SB Live! version 007 (with 1024 Synth Voices)(driver for SB Live = C:\WINDOWS\INF\VSB010X.INF).

Update - -
I re-installed both Creative SB 5.1 and WMP9, but still couldn't play mp3 files anywhere. Having looked at some other forums warning against wmp9, I started wondering if series 9 of the Windows Media Player is the problem. I really don't know. Anyway, I "rolled back" to Windows Media Player 6.4, but the problem is still here.

Music CD's - They are working fine in CD player (the little one that comes with windows 98) and Sound Blaster Creative Playstation 2. Music CD's don't play in Media Player 6 or WinAmp. No idea what is playing wav files. The only programme that I can get to play midi files is Windows Media Player 6.4.
I can't get any of this kit to make MP3s play.

When I try to open an MP£ in WMP6.4, I get the 80040256 error msg. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Is there a bug-fix utility that I can get to straighten out the problem?

Any useful ideas would be gratefully received.

In addition, I'm now getting an eror msg saying msgsrv32 is not responding.

First make sure that the SB live is selected as your primary sound device in the control panel (first make sure it is ok in device manager)

Second, have you tried multiple mp3's?

Third, forget using WMP, use WinAmp 2.xx or Foobar2000.
Forth, you have to have an Aspi layer installed for Winamp to play cd's
Fifth, Try using the KX Project drivers for teh SBLive.

perhaps DRM in WMP not allowing you to play downloaded mp3's?

I had a similar problem after I installed a Creative sb card and got around it by disabling the on board sound card in the BIOS

hope this helps

if you have dialer proggy running at the same time as ANOTHER proggy (of which BOTH try to use the sound card exclusively) you get this problem. Like dreamliner said, can WMP. It sucks compared to the alternatives.

Never believe MS when they say they are the best. If they are so great, why do people run non-MS products?

Solved

Thanks to eveeryone for your suggestions. Solved via another forum. As soon as I upgraded DirectX to the latest version, everything worked again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back