audio over dvi?

nod32

OSNN Addict
I want to run a hdmi cable from the computer to the tv (in the soon-to-be completed basement). I have an 3850, so I will have to use a dvi-hdmi adapter. It just hit me that I'm not going to be able to get audio from that am I?

So that leaves me with optical vs coaxial (from my ds3l). Any personal expieriences with either of these on this board (or recomendations for 30+ ft)?

thanks
nod32

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I dont think you'll get any sound from your tv by connecting the optical/coaxial cables to it from the pc because the sockets on the tv are only for output to amps/speakers. You'll have to use the speakers on your PC.

Yea sorry, thats what I was getting at. Optical/coaxial to amp

I like that board... :)
This Asus board is pee-ing me off. I want Gigabyte!
Anyhoos... I have used optical and coaxial in the past on Windows XP with my Creative speakers and it worked great... until vista came along. Can't get a damn sound from PC now.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hdmi+audio+over+dvi

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=139226

10-09-2007, 12:52 #4 OleJ

This was what Wikipedia said:

Extensions

In Radeon HD, audio signals are carried through DVI when the video card detects a connected HDMI display, which is connected via the HDMI adapter which is optionally supplied by the manufacturer (it appears that the 2400 Pro models do not come with the required adaptor).[1]

I didn't get the adaptor... So does anyone know how to get it?

post_old.gif
10-09-2007, 13:11 #5 OleJ

I finally found it. Crossig my fingers that this will sort it.
For those of you who might also need the solution:​

Or google for "ati DVI-HDMI adapter"​

I will leave feedback if this was all there was to it.​

Cheers​

Read the whole post for more info, but that NewEgg link is what you want. Not even overly expensive, cool.

ATI radeon 2000 and 3000 series will put sound over DVI/HDMI for you.

Yes, but he needs an ATI DVI to HDMI adapter because the standard DVI connection doesn't include pins for sound, it's not in the specification. So a standard DVI to HDMI adapter won't have these pins either. His 3850 only has DVI out and didn't come with the adapter, therefore he needs that adapter in order to take advantage of the built-in audio.

This special adapter includes ATI's pins for carrying sound, so it will work for what nod32 is looking for. This adapter was made exactly for this purpose.

Even NewEgg's link for that video card that nod32 gave http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129101 says in the Features section "Support for the ATI Radeon DVI to HDMI adapter".

Last edited:
I actually have that adapter. It came in the box. The link i gave to the video card, wasn't the exact one i bought. It was the first version 3850 with the original cooler and the adapter was inside. It looks just like this but it's gray.
So I can send sound over it? That's pretty cool.

Yes, it is cool. I remember when I first heard about sending sound through the video card, I was like "what"!? I don't actually use HDMI myself as I have an old projection TV; maybe someday.

Interesting, I noticed I wasn't getting sound over DVI/HDMI but I don't think I was using the cable that came with my ATI card - I will give it a go tomorrow as I don't have AnyDVD (or whatver it was called) so can't watch Blueray movies on my monitors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back