Audio CD Copy Protection Heads Up

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi there I don’t know how this reflects on the forum guide lines but this article explains a possible method to overcome audio CD copy protection.
Firstly this should not be used to infringe upon the respective copy-right of the music studio!
“My rant” - fair enough to have copy protection but the crappy “player” software included makes the CD sound awful! And because it is actively re-sampling it uses a shed-load of cpu time! If you are in a similar situation to me at uni, or similar and only have your PC as an audio playback device, it is really annoying that you go out and buy a title and it sounds worse than the mp3s you could have downloaded from the net!

The only solution is ripping the cd yourself and putting the original on your shelf to gather dust.

Anyway here is the ultra-sophistic solution: - hold “shift” when you put your CD hence disabling AUTORUN then when you open your fav ripping package all tracks are available!

Full Article
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39116987,00.htm

Oh one of you mods might like to post the origional article on the news page ??

*UPDATE* - This appears to only work on bmgs software

Hehe...I've been ready for that copy protection unwittingly since 2001, when I started disabling autorun.

These ridiculous "players" are really annoying, though. I bought the Terminator 2 Extreme Edition DVD, only to find out that the only way to play the DVD that contained a very high-quality, hi-res video. The only catch: You have to intsall the spyware-laden, outdated, and outmoded "Interactual Player".

Then they have the gall to tell me, after I click the "Allow" button on my firewall, that out of their great benevolence, they have granted a lowly fecal pile like me permission to watch this film that I have already paid good money for.

Copy protections like that are just insulting.

Oh great I had no idea that the stench of copy potection had spread to dvds too handybuddy :(

yeah this has been around for a whole. It made news since some student published a paper on it and almost got sued.

HandyBuddy said:
Hehe...I've been ready for that copy protection unwittingly since 2001, when I started disabling autorun.

These ridiculous "players" are really annoying, though. I bought the Terminator 2 Extreme Edition DVD, only to find out that the only way to play the DVD that contained a very high-quality, hi-res video. The only catch: You have to intsall the spyware-laden, outdated, and outmoded "Interactual Player".

Then they have the gall to tell me, after I click the "Allow" button on my firewall, that out of their great benevolence, they have granted a lowly fecal pile like me permission to watch this film that I have already paid good money for.

Copy protections like that are just insulting.

I havent installed 'Interactual Player' I use WinDVD. I just cancel the Interactual Player installation and fire the dvd up in WinDVD.

Alternatives to holding shift are to use a Mac or Linux or BSD or BeOS or... etc. Quite possibly the most pathetic copy protection ever :D

Just rip cd's with EAC (detect TOC Manually), or if you have a plextor drive, use plextools. It's also possible that you will have a rip that sounds better than the original becuase of protections that add c2 errors.

Wasnt that Interactual thing on the Star Wars Ep 1 or 2 disk as well, which you neede dto install in order to access the web content?

on most dvds with dvdrom stuff, it requres you to use interactual, it sucks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back