Audigy - Snap, Crackle, Pop

I have an ASUS mobo so not sure if this is using a VIA chipset but I don't think so.

I applied the patch that disables the turbo feature- I'll let you all know how it goes...

Update

I just got done powering down my machine and moving my sound card up 2 pci slots and now in MotoGP which I had most of the sound problems is gone.

I hardly ever witness sound problems in windows...

I also had to re-install my sound card drivers so I chose to install the Creative drivers and remove the George patch...

Ok, Now after I started re-defining the keys to my ps2 controller i had to start the game up and experiment what keys do what b/c its all not so clear. When I got into MotoGP I noticed the crackling was back, and so I installed Georges patch and re-started my pc and when I started MotoGP all sound was gone which is exactly what georges patch does for me, abso nothing except remove sound completely.

HMMMMMM!

rite i solved the popping problem... how i dont know

now the high frequency sounds are distorted very slightly... like i have the input volume too high which i havent.

but the only thing i can think of thats doin it is that the mass of cables have entwined with the mains... im off to investigate...

come come watson;)

Originally posted by XP Abuser
rite i solved the popping problem... how i dont know

now the high frequency sounds are distorted very slightly... like i have the input volume too high which i havent.

but the only thing i can think of thats doin it is that the mass of cables have entwined with the mains... im off to investigate...

come come watson;)

Do Whaaaaaaaaaat?

oh yeh i found a faq on the creative knowledge base what a load of ****... it tells you to disable the optimisation on every piece of hardware connected to your computer... what nonsense

DMA > PIO
DISABLE ACPI
DISABLE FAST WRITE FOR GFX CARD
bla de bla

Hmm..... I've been having a problem with the Audigy2 and music playback. I use XMPlay with the res set to 96khz/32bit and every time I pause or close xmplay, the very next sound that plays (like a windows beep, IE page nav click, etc.) is preceeded by a brief hum. Sounds kinda like feedback distortion. Don't really know what could be causing it.

I've already got the latest beta drivers for Audigy cards, but it did the same thing with the old drivers.

Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe with other music players with similar high res settings?

LOL, sorry that this doesn't really fit in with the crackle/pop issue, but it is another weird occurence related to the Audigy.

96khz is hi? i thought 128 to 196 was considered mid range...

na mate you got your wires crossed hes talking about sample rate (frequency) not bit rate as you'd find in mp3s and such

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking but decided to post it anyway... :p

its all down too VIA and their lame chipsets i think ill get nforce next time

Re: Drivers - New as of May 9

Originally posted by Handybuddy
These are the latest drivers as of May 9 for the Audigy 2 (I experienced the popping myself, usually when burning CDs):
These are also a later build than the previously posted 417 betas. These are build 425...
http://files.americas.creative.com/Drivers/Others/2164/AUD2DRVLB030425.exe
is that an audigy2 specific driver? that's all you mentioned. also, can you link to the page rather than directly to the file? thanks.

and you say you experienced popping while burning cd's... do you mean the audio on the cd had pops or the music you were listening to while burning had pops?

Audigy 2 Drivers

The driver I previously posted is supposedly Audigy 2 specific, but there's no harm in trying them on the Audigy 1. HOWEVER, after installing these drivers, it still crackles. I checked Creative's site and it's the same old "move to a different PCI slot, get the latest drivers, possible VIA chipset problem. I've also had a Guillemot Fortissimo 2 with my VIA chipset and no crackling. Hmm... will investigate further.

As to burning of cds, it's during the burn, whether data or audio, that I would experience crackling. Or pretty much anytime my computer was dealing with a lot of data.Link to Audigy Drivers

Thanks for the Info ArgO.
It seems from the Breese website which I had used before, that the mobos supported inc chipsets up to 2001 on this sound problem, which I also have.
Tried the Latency patch with no succes, and the other one does not appear to support Creative 4.1.
Back to the drawing board.

I have a fix for my problem and I'm not 100% sure but I think it works on the latest Audigy and Beta drivers.

Go into Sounds and Audio Devices Properties > Speaker Settings - Advanced... > Performance Tab > Hardware Acceleration - drag Acceleration to Basic, a reboot is not necessary.

All the loud snap crackle pops are gone - and if they're still there I can't hear them. I'm just glad now I can play Moto GP 2 with clear sound.

Mobo slots maybe

After reading this post, I've been really thinking a lot about my Audigy crackle. I noticed that VIA ties the first and last PCI slot together for some reason (1&5 or 1&6). I put my Audigy in slot 2 and did things that normally make it crackle. None so far...try keeping it out of the first and last PCI slots.

Lol...irony makes me laugh. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I did some extensive testing and it reduced, but not eliminated the popping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back