ATI vs NVidia on Linux

J

JohnnyGreb

I'm currently looking at different distro and features of Linux, etc etc. I've noticed that many Linux games say they require NVidia.

I've done a little research and there are drivers for my video card (Radeon VE) so I know I'll get it up and running, but what about games? Are they just "optimized" to run with NVidia? Or is this a requirement for these games?

I'll be getting a new video card sometime in the next couple months and this is a consideration I'm wanting to take this into consideration, as I planned on upgrading my XP box and putting the Radeon VE into the Linux box I'm setting up. Alternatively, maybe getting a NVidia card would be better?

Any advice, recomendations, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks.

-JG

P.S.: I don't like Coke or Pepsi :p

ati has stepped up its linux support and has been pretty good... nvidia is also a good solution...

the thing with ati is that smartgart is not supported in linux... not ati problem so much as linux problem... perhaps there are alternative drivers that will help out...

my recommendation is to talk to both companies customer service reps (and not just the people @ the front desk who know jack all about what to do) and get detailed info... also emails will help.. :)

linux is not really the first OS coming to mind when people program games but I am sure you will be fine running apps with the VE as is :) incl games...

nvidia also has some nice cheap solutions like the 4200 ( I don't recommend anything below that)

Cool. I'll most likely stick with ATI then. Put this card into the linux box and upgrade to a newer card for my XP box.
I'm not much of a gamer, but when I do feel like it, the last thing I want is to not be able to play any games at all.

Thanks.

-JG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back