ATI-TV & nVidia Video

Q

Quezacotl

Hey All

I have a dual display setup right now and I've been trying to get the ATI All-In-Wonder 128's TV setup to work right .... however with no luck. I wanted to use it as a tv input not so much for a second display ... I am in windows xp and I have the newest drivers for that card installed with Media Center 7.1

if I can do this that would be GREAT!! anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

- Quezacotl

Originally posted by Quezacotl
Hey All

I have a dual display setup right now and I've been trying to get the ATI All-In-Wonder 128's TV setup to work right .... however with no luck. I wanted to use it as a tv input not so much for a second display ... I am in windows xp and I have the newest drivers for that card installed with Media Center 7.1

if I can do this that would be GREAT!! anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

- Quezacotl

what exactly have you been trying to do ? didn't quite understand...

you have your nvidia card as primary and the ati as secondary and want to output to your tv ?

also please list your hardware specs such as cpu and memory...

oops sorry let me clarify

I have the nVidia Geforce4 as my primary AGP

I have the ATI All-In-Wonder PCI as my secondary

I want use the capture with coaxial in (TV-In)

I got both cards working great, dual display and all but the ATI refused to use it's TV decoder parts ...

I looked in the ATI Mulitmedia section in the control pannel and it does pickup and install the capture device but it still won't work. Also it only picks it up if the ATI card is set to First Init in the BIOS. which is kinda blah...

I was thinking of trying to do this same setup but in Windows 9x because I was reading that people were having trouble with the Windows XP drivers for this peticular card. The only thing I was is the capture, I don't care about the video... and this card has NICE capture ...

I am running Windows XP Pro /w SP1

I have an .....

AMD Athlon XP T'bred 2200+
256 mb PC-2700 DDR Ram
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
nVidia Geforce4 MX 440
ATI All-In Wonder 128
Soundblaster Live!
12x8x32x LG Burner
8x DVD
60gig Maxtor ATA133 (7200rpm)
30gig Maxtor ATA100 (7200rpm)

I think thats all :S

- Quezacotl

ATI TV-Wonder would have been a better investmen if all you wanted was the capture ability...

I have a "similar" setup... I've got the nVidia GF4 MX 440, with the ATI TV-Wonder... I did notice that one time on windows update, it incorectly recommended drivers for the tv tuner that just didn't work... as well... when i downloaded the updated drivers from ATI i had some fiddling to do with the new drivers, since it didn't install the new drivers directly...

you have to use the "add new hardware wizard" and point to the right folder in the extracted setup files when after you install the new 7.6 version of ATI multimedia centre...

Then only conflict i've had with the "opposing" brands is that the little slide out side panel in display settings for the Detonator drivers flickers and i have to make sure there's another window behind it to be able to click on it... annoying but for the amount of times i change display settings i can handle it...

as for boot settings, the only thing i would recommend is try setting the "Plug n Play OS?" setting to YES if it was set to NO or vice versa... apparently XP ignores this setting anyway, but it may just do something...

Hey!

I have a TV-Wonder but it's in use else where
meanwhile I have this card lying around which infact didn't cost me anything so it's if I can gain from it great ya know?

I think I figured it out ... xp HATES that card with a passion...

outta curiosity I formatted installed 98 and tried it all again

the capture device worked .. but ati's wonderful tv program kept crashing on the way in to it ...

It's because of my nVidia ... :(

Thanks for your help!

- Quezacotl

/ edit ... oh my bios doesn't have the pnp-os setting ... GA7VAXP ... I'd assume it's on ... but no way to find out ...

the reason i mentioned disabling the PnP OS setting, is that WinXP can be known sometimes to assign conflicting IRQs and such... Had you tried installing the ATI card in a different PCI slot... perhaps the resources were shared for the particular slot you were using... Did you happen to check the IRQ and other related settings in WinXP to compare them to the ones in 98? If 98 assigns different values from XP, the settings from 98 could be forced in XP and then it might work...

I just hate it when i hear people going back to 98 cause something wouldn't work in XP...

"How can they whip cheese!!" (Willy Loman)

oh yeah...

the program crashing could be related to overlay settings...

by the way... there are other programs for watching tv or captured signals...

PowerVCR from Cyberlink

Dscaler - freeware, but always in beta stage...

Originally posted by baser5nature
oh yeah...

the program crashing could be related to overlay settings...

by the way... there are other programs for watching tv or captured signals...

PowerVCR from Cyberlink

Dscaler - freeware, but always in beta stage...

yes but generally when a bsod or a regular crash to desktop with an error msg generated with conflicting types of hardware could well be pci related like you mentioned..

it may not just be the pci video card... it could be other pci cards you have running...

one option would be to try playing around with your pci cards and see if that will help... I had irq problems with my hauppage tv tuner in pci slot 1.. so I moved it to slot 4 (2 and 3 are taken up by my nic card and my audigy) and now I have no more IRQ problems...

if this does not help... please post and also answer basrsnature's post above ^^^

I recommend you post your question over the Rage3D Forum for ATI users.. there's lots of experience to pull from there with respect to all things ATI...

Wow thanks for all the replies!

I will NOT ever ever ever go back to Windows 98 ick ick ick :D ...

I decided to put the video card in a different computer and hook it up directly to the tv setup I have ...

The ati's capture abilities would only work if it was set as the first init device in the bios and I don't want it to be the primary display device .. I lost alot of preformace in the computer when I did that.

I got them both working but the program kept crashing while in windows 98 and yes I did try power vcr ... it got just as far as the ati tv player .... both cards are on difference IRQ's and are not sharing resources ...

I woulda replied sooner but my board died .. resistor fell off the back ... how odd?

So computer is down till the 3rd buying a new ASUS A7N8X ... want to try out the nforce chipset

Thanks a bunch guys!!

- Quezacotl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back